PDA

View Full Version : Lousy way to start the week.

Don Baer
07-17-2006, 10:38 AM
So I get up the morning at 6:00 and make my way to the kitchen to turn on coffee pot. As I slowly gain consiousness I hear a sound comming from the front of the house. I look out the door and there a fountain comming from where the water main enters the house.:eek: After voicing a few explitives I get a wrench from the garage and go to the curb to shut off the water. Then I figure well I've got an hour before the borg open so I'll have time to asses the damage. one the water settle most of the way down I bail the rest out only to find that a coupling going to the speinkler main had let loose. So I dried it out good and using the best PVC cenemnt I had I relpaced the coupling. Now I'll watit the required hour before turning on the water to make sure the repairs worked. Did I say I hate plumbing.:mad: Hopefully this was an easy one but I sure want to go take my morning shower.

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
You dodged the bullet on that one, underground leaks on the main line are a mess to repair, also hard to find since the water is not always coming from the break. BTW I had that problem often with a sprinkler system in a house I had 13 years ago, turns out that we had over 125 lbs of pressure at the meter and when the valve shut off the plastic joint souldn't handle the abrubt stop. Ended up having to install a regulator. At this house we only have about 50 lbs plus no sprinklers. We only have to water the lawn a few times a year in this Nw climate.

Norman Hitt
07-17-2006, 4:10 PM
Hey Don, if it happens again, you could easily install a Ball valve where it comes off the Main, and then you could just shut off the sprinkler system, take your shower, and repair the leak at your leisure.:D I did that on both water lines that go into my shop,..........(Just in Case.............):rolleyes: :D

Lee DeRaud
07-17-2006, 5:24 PM
Hey Don, if it happens again, you could easily install a Ball valve where it comes off the Main, and then you could just shut off the sprinkler system, take your shower, and repair the leak at your leisure.Amen to that. My sprinkler valves are a whole whopping 4' from where the system attaches to the house water, but my clumsy gardener usually manages to break something in that span about once a year.