PDA

View Full Version : house roof question

Frank Fusco
07-17-2006, 9:41 AM
For the second time in three years, I am getting the roof replaced on my house. Both times due to damage from April thunderstorms bringing hail. It's being done at this moment. The insurance company paid promptly, that's not the problem. #1, it's a hassle. #2, the biggie, I'm concerned the insurance company may drop my coverage or raise the rates to where I can't afford them. My roofing is a standard 30 yr warranty (that's a joke) asphalt type. Is there a roofing that is more durable than this. Even the metal roofs got seriously damaged in that storm. My metal pole barn garage/shop got beat up pretty badly but I'm not replacing anthing there as the paint didn't chip. The hail in this storm was about egg sized. A mile away, it was watermelon sized. A friend of my wife had her car totaly destroyed by that.

Mark Rios
07-17-2006, 9:44 AM
Concrete?

:D :D :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Concrete?

:D :D :D

THICK Concrete...... :D

Sorry to hear about your trouble Frank, we don't get hail here much, so I have no exp with it.

Cheers!

Rob Russell
07-17-2006, 10:38 AM
A mile away, it was watermelon sized. A friend of my wife had her car totaly destroyed by that.

Watermelon sized hail? You mean like 16" long and 8" in diameter? Whooooeee - that'd do a job on just about anything!

For your roof, what about 1/4" stainless steel diamond plate! :D

Ken Garlock
07-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Frank, when we built, I had the Marlarkey brand Legacy (http://www.malarkey-rfg.com/PDFFiles/MRP%20WebFliers/LegacyFlierWeb.pdf)roofing installed. It has the top fire and wind ratings, and is qualified by the State of Texas for impact resistance. (http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/commish/roofingx.html)

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't have names but do some google and look for the companies that make the shingles out of recycled tires. That sounds perfect for you. I saw an ad for them somewhere recently here in WA.

Here's one:

http://oikos.com/products/moisture/ecostar/

Carl Eyman
07-17-2006, 12:11 PM
When one of the Silva brothers of This Old House fame lost his house to fire a few years ago TOH rebuilt it on their show and used that type of shingle. It looks like slate. My internet search came up with the fact the shingles tend to curl. There is another product out of virgin material that does not curl, however. I believe Joe is right. I'm inclined to think either of them would be resilient enough to resist hail. Another product a friend used recently is metai shingles. I understand that is very wind and hail resistant. It would be worth investigating, anyway. The only reason I have any thoughts on this is I did some research when my son's roof had to be replaced after Katrina, but he did not take my advice; so you can see how good it is.

Ken Salisbury
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Hail/roof problems are not unique to Arkansas. As a matter of fact my roofers are due here next week to replace the roof on both my house and my shop. The storm that damaged my roofs was April 22nd. Took over a month to get the appraiser out due to the number of claims being processed in the area. Then I had to get in line another month with the roofer to get the job done. Poo poo happens :) .

Frank Fusco
07-17-2006, 1:11 PM
Thanks all. I'll look into that Malarky brand when/if this happens again. Also the shingles made from old tires or whatever seem logical. I'm not an eco-freak but do hate waste and once was a crusader against lllegal dumping in my county. I know that many roofers just dump anywhere to cut bids (I hired the lowest bidder) and avoid landfill fees. To see my three year old roofing torn off and thrown in the truck about made me sick. All the waste. BTW, I checked with the Arkansas Insurance Commission today and learned that I cannot be cancelled because of losses caused by Acts of God. Not all states give that protection to the homeowner. I'm an historical reenactor and one summer gave demos at a restored village on making split shingles from cedar or oak with a froe and mallet. (in my Neanderthal days). Those are remarkably durable and long lasting shingles.

Norman Hitt
07-17-2006, 4:29 PM
I'm an historical reenactor and one summer gave demos at a restored village on making split shingles from cedar or oak with a froe and mallet. (in my Neanderthal days). Those are remarkably durable and long lasting shingles.

When we bought our present house 30 yrs ago, it had a "Shake Roof", and you're right, it seemed to last forever, (even out here in the extreme Sun and heat, AND hail), but when we finally had it replaced, it was cost prohibitive due to the insurance premiums, because of the fire hazard it presented. We solid decked the house and used the normal 30 yr asphalt shingles, and EVERY hail storm that has come along since, except one, has required a re-roof, (one time it was only a little over 8 month old).:rolleyes: Did I mention I HATE Hail, & Asphalt shingles.:(
I'm pretty sure "Legacy" is what we have this time, and it seems to be holding up pretty well, and has taken a couple of "Light" hails with no damage.