PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Users

Jay Albrandt
09-23-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm in the market for a high quality, HVLP system that can spray everything from laquers to enamel paint. Suggestions from any of you who own or have used these units whould be much appreciated. Also, please include your impression of the pros and cons regarding the equipment.

I have a nice conversion gun now that I have used to spray Deft products with great results, but I want more flexibility. I plan on using it for painting/spraying louvered blinds and doors, case and crown molding, and also finishing kitchen cabinets.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Jay

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-23-2003, 3:28 PM
I'm in the market for a high quality, HVLP system that can spray everything from laquers to enamel paint. Suggestions from any of you who own or have used these units whould be much appreciated. Also, please include your impression of the pros and cons regarding the equipment.

I have a nice conversion gun now that I have used to spray Deft products with great results, but I want more flexibility. I plan on using it for painting/spraying louvered blinds and doors, case and crown molding, and also finishing kitchen cabinets.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Jay

I'd say your are looking at a pressure cup/pressure pot setup to cover a wide material range without having to thin material to the excess. Along these lines, I'm fond of Walcom and Asturo equipment.

Keep your old gun, as it's really handly to have several guns to cover different steps in the finish schedule.

I suggest calling homesteadfinishing.com and spraygundepot.com for advice that fits your equipment budget. There are about 10 high end brands to consider.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-23-2003, 8:25 PM
Call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing...he can tell you what you need and sell it to you. We use an Asturo (that we got from Jeff) at the mesquite outfit, and even though it's a bit spendy the difference shows.

KC

Kevin Post
09-23-2003, 9:00 PM
Call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing...he can tell you what you need and sell it to you. We use an Asturo (that we got from Jeff) at the mesquite outfit, and even though it's a bit spendy the difference shows.

Ditto to Kirk's comments. I recently purchased an Asturo setup from Jeff with a 2 qt pressure pot and a dual regulator. I got a 1.9mm tip for spraying latex paint. So far, I've sprayed stains, polys, shellac and latex. The results have been terrific.

I had the opportunity to use the Asturo side by side with my brother's Wagner Conversion Gun. We were spraying oil-based poly on kitchen cabinets and millwork for his house. I brought my rig to spray the insides of the cabinets. (My gun isn't as clumsy since it has the remote pot.) By comparison, the Asturo was much easier to setup and use and the resulting finish turned out better. The Asturo, however, is four times the price of the Wagner.

-Kevin

Phil Phelps
09-23-2003, 9:18 PM
...have been a fan of the conversion for years. I have used the turbine and will stay with the conversion. Binks makes an excellent gun as does Accuspray. You have many options on the pressure pot and cup applications. Some are a little more difficult to change and clean than others. Shop and compare. I like an independent dealer, also.