PDA

View Full Version : Good day in the shop...

John Cavanaugh
07-17-2006, 3:17 AM
Its been a long time since Ive done much of anything in the shop, but I made some good progress today.

I finally got around to building the plywood storage rack and putting up the triton lumber rack. The plywood storage is pretty cool, I copied the idea from something I saw on the web.

The design is a hinge that allows me to swing it open like a door, but still maintain a low profile in terms of space. Its made out of a couple sheets of plywood and 2x10 lumber. I figure it can hold about 8-10 sheets of plywood/mdf etc. Wheels are from Harbor Freight, so the whole thing didnt set me back too much. Overall Im pretty happy with how it turned out.

I bought the Triton lumber rack a few weeks ago, based on some research and a few comments here on the board. I have to same Im impressed with the quality of the rack, I definitely give it a thumbs up if anyone else is thinking about it.

Here are a few shots to "show" my work. ;-)

--
John C

Bob Childress
07-17-2006, 3:54 PM
I love that plywoood storage thingy, if I could only find 8 feet of open wall to put it against.:)

Chris Dodge
07-17-2006, 4:59 PM
I love that plywoood storage thingy, if I could only find 8 feet of open wall to put it against.:)

I had the same thought! I do like the idea though.

John Cavanaugh
07-17-2006, 6:48 PM
I had the same thought! I do like the idea though.

Im still trying to keep my garage as a place I can keep my cars. In my garage that wall is only about 17in deep before it hits the garage door, so I have to put only really narrow stuff there and this plywood storage was a perfect fit.

--
John C

glenn bradley
07-17-2006, 6:58 PM
Im still trying to keep my garage as a place I can keep my cars. In my garage that wall is only about 17in deep before it hits the garage door, so I have to put only really narrow stuff there and this plywood storage was a perfect fit.

--
John C

Good use of space. I was after a similar idea 'cause I thought it was so cool. Before I got it built I changes houses and now use a different method. Great use of that narrow wall though.

Peter Stahl
07-18-2006, 6:00 AM
Its been a long time since Ive done much of anything in the shop, but I made some good progress today.

I finally got around to building the plywood storage rack and putting up the triton lumber rack. The plywood storage is pretty cool, I copied the idea from something I saw on the web.

The design is a hinge that allows me to swing it open like a door, but still maintain a low profile in terms of space. Its made out of a couple sheets of plywood and 2x10 lumber. I figure it can hold about 8-10 sheets of plywood/mdf etc. Wheels are from Harbor Freight, so the whole thing didnt set me back too much. Overall Im pretty happy with how it turned out.

I bought the Triton lumber rack a few weeks ago, based on some research and a few comments here on the board. I have to same Im impressed with the quality of the rack, I definitely give it a thumbs up if anyone else is thinking about it.

Here are a few shots to "show" my work. ;-)

--
John C

Hey John,

About your Triton Lumber rack. Is the attached to a block wall? If so how did you attach it. I have concrete walls in my basement and can't find a anchor that I think is strong enough. Drill holes with a hammer drill is no picnic either. It wants to wander when it hits a stone. Looks good!

John Scarpa
07-18-2006, 8:09 PM
John,

Your post is timely for me. I have been considering the same thing for the rack and I have the identical space to deal with. I didn't consdier your idea on the pull out for sheet goods because I didn't think I had the space. Well I was wrong about that!

I have a question for you about the rack though. It seems I read something somewhere that said you should run the risers all the way to the floor to help transfer the load. Although that might have been one deesgined to carry more weight. What do you think?

John

John Cavanaugh
07-20-2006, 5:29 AM
Hey John,

About your Triton Lumber rack. Is the attached to a block wall? If so how did you attach it. I have concrete walls in my basement and can't find a anchor that I think is strong enough. Drill holes with a hammer drill is no picnic either. It wants to wander when it hits a stone. Looks good!

Peter, the block wall in my garage only goes up about 4 ft, then its standard wood framing. That means that my triton rack is attached to the wall studs. I dont have any experience with anchors, but I suspect if you ask a question in the forum someone will surely be able to point you in the right direction.

--
John Cavanaugh

John Cavanaugh
07-20-2006, 5:32 AM
John,
I have a question for you about the rack though. It seems I read something somewhere that said you should run the risers all the way to the floor to help transfer the load. Although that might have been one deesgined to carry more weight. What do you think?
John

Im not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by risers?

I have thought a little bit about the load on the wheels and I have seriously thought about adding 2 more wheels in the middle to help more evenly distribute the weight.

--
John C

John Cavanaugh
07-20-2006, 5:36 AM
John,

Your post is timely for me. I have been considering the same thing for the rack and I have the identical space to deal with. I didn't consdier your idea on the pull out for sheet goods because I didn't think I had the space. Well I was wrong about that!

John

Truthfully to me thats the best feature of the plywood rack, basically the utility it gives you in a small space.

Sure you could always just stack/lean stuff against a wall, but the problem with that is when you want that sheet which is 4 deep in the stack, you have to move 3 sheets to get to the one you want.

With this design, you can rollout the rack, pull out the sheet you want, much more efficient... ;-)

--
John Cavanaugh

John Scarpa
07-20-2006, 6:45 PM
Im not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by risers?
--
John C

John, I meant the veritcals that you put the brackets into. I've seen many folks run them al the way to the floor or in your case to the brick wall. I really like the design of the unit as it allows for maximum use of the space between shelves.

John Cavanaugh
07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
John, I meant the veritcals that you put the brackets into. I've seen many folks run them al the way to the floor or in your case to the brick wall. I really like the design of the unit as it allows for maximum use of the space between shelves.

Hmm. I guess I can understand the engineering load benefit of doing that, especially if you had even more weight. If I were going to do a floor to ceiling type of storage rack, that is probably a much better strategy.

However the verticals supplied by Triton wouldnt be able reach the floor since they are only like 4ft long. I suspect that they are fine for the amount of wood that could be stacked on the same shelves.

Oh, darn, now you got me thinking. Hmm. I wonder if the risers are a standard size that I could buy longer ones at the metal supply shop, so I could run them all the way down to the concrete block (they are free floating on the wall now).

--
John Cavanaugh

Andy Fox
07-21-2006, 9:57 AM
John, thanks for sharing this. It's the perfect solution I've been looking for. I'm even putting it in the exact location relative to the garage door.

I think I'm going to lag bolt on some 2x4's that run from floor to ceiling to help support the load before installing the rack, but I have a tendency for overkill.