PDA

View Full Version : Cutter tips, hollowing tools

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-17-2006, 1:31 AM
I was looking to make a hollowing tool of some sort, even a scraper I guess.

I found these online, never been used, but old stock.....

Not sure of the exact size, and I guess they are for metal work, but they should be sharp, no?

All ten for about $30....

I'm thinking along these lines....

What do you think?

Cheers!

07-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Zero interest or comments eh?

I guess that other thread is sucking all the air from the room..... :rolleyes:

Brian McInturff
07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Stu,
What are they made of. They look a little lite to be used as a cutter. Can't really tell from the pic.
Brian

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Well Stu, they look like they are brass. Not sure that they would hold an edge well enough and $30.00 seems a little pricy without knowing that they will work.

As usual, just my .02

Bruce

Mark Rios
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Stu, I'll post here to help you out and increase the thread count but, as you might be aware, I have absolutely NO idea what the pacheebies you are talking about.

Just trying to be supportive. That's my job.

07-17-2006, 11:38 AM
They are not brass, they are cutter for steel, they will cut highspeed steel, they have that same coating on them as the gold colored drill bits.

Eli Avisera has something like this for deep hollowing of boxes etc.

It looked like a round rod, about 14" long,the very end was cut so just about half of the rod was gone, it was ground flat, and had a tapped hole in it. The round cutter was on the flat spot, with a round cover of sorts, so you could limit the cut that the cutter could take, this prevented catching or digging in.

Well I'll have to see, the thing is I need one, not 10, but I bet if I can find somewhere that will sell me one, it will cost as much as this :(

Cheers!

Brian McInturff
07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Stu,
If you make more than one I'd be will to try it out. :) . I'd even pay you for it. I could see where you might need more than one though. A couple of left bent hook types for getting further in. Brian

David Foshee
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Stu,
Most likely they are titanium coated cutters which works well for metal cutting but I would not think they would have a sharp enough edge for woodcutting. I used something simular when I worked in a production Machine shop. They are tough but do not have a fine edge like a high speed steel/ M2 grade cutter. Also they are made to throw away when dull.

I made a tool like the one in your picture I copied the Robert Sorby RS200kt-Multi Tip. I bought Sorby replacement cutters to use with mine. about $15.00 here in US.
I don't use it for Hollowing only for Beading details, Scraping, and I have a 45 and 60 Degree to cut the dove tail for my chuck.

07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info Dave.

They are fairly small, I found out they are only 12mm in dia.

What Eli does for scrapers is he takes a used TS blade and cuts it up and then grinds it to the shape he wants, I might try that, as well as buying a specialized cutter.

Thanks!

Dick Strauss
07-17-2006, 1:38 PM
Stu,
I had the same idea and am having the same problems. I've been looking at varying carbide shapes for different purposes (hollowing vs smoothing). I plan to make exactly what you are suggesting. My buddy made a double-ended scraper using flat stock (1/4"tx1"wx20"l) where the scrapers are tear-drop shaped and made of 1/8" HSS. He put a rounded wooden handle over the center of the rectangular stock to give the tool a better feel.

I plan to make mine single ended with a piece of round stock similar to this tool...
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/joebill1/.mids/5.8inRound.JPG (http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/joebill1/5.8inRound.JPG?vvid=21136032&allow_mailing_list=1&allow_track_link=1&track=0235511265-4768d&sp=1)

As far as translating the specs for inserts, try this link...
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm#size
Unfortunately a size 4 (4/8") and size 12 (12mm) are the same so it is hard to understand if the specs are ANSI or ISO but the page llinked above will help. You probably want a 15* or 20* bevel on the insert similar to HSS scrapers.

I've been looking at this page trying to decide what I need to make it happen wrt inserts...
http://www.carbidedepot.com/DynamicLanding.aspx?CategoryID=1

Let me know what you find and I'll do the same so that we can each do half the research.

Thanks and good luck,
Dick