PDA

View Full Version : Workbench done

David Mueller
07-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Well, the bench is done, now on to the vises. The tucker is staged and the first to be installed. Then the twin at the end. For reference, the top is 25x72x3" oiled maple and the stretchers are 1 1/2x4 1/2x48" white oak finished with Deft. Thanks for peeking.

Roger Meeker
07-17-2006, 12:25 AM
David,
Bench looks awesome!! Can't wait to see the final with the vises mounted.

What's your "recipe" for the oil on the bench? I'm working on a couple of work tables, made out of Red Oak and am looking for a good bench finish.

Thanks,
RSM

David Mueller
07-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Roger,
I used BLO/turpintine 50/50 for a few coats then added BLO only to almost 100% BLO for the second few. Drying a day or 2 between. Then I used BLO/Turpintine/beeswax all mixed and melted together in 1/3'rds. Rubbed that in and buffed after an hour or so. I like it so far. not too slick but beads well.

Jeff A. Smith
07-17-2006, 3:35 AM
Are those legs from Lee Valley?

Looks nice!

Ron Blaise
07-17-2006, 6:45 AM
Well, the bench is done, now on to the vises. The tucker is staged and the first to be installed. Then the twin at the end. For reference, the top is 25x72x3" oiled maple and the stretchers are 1 1/2x4 1/2x48" white oak finished with Deft. Thanks for peeking.

That's about the ugliest work bench I've ever seen! Drop it of at my shop and I'll fix it for you, you can come back in about 10 years and I should have it finished :D Keep up the good work boy! I like it!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-17-2006, 7:58 AM
Oh boy is that nice, looks rock solid!

That Tucker vice is something I've had my eye on for years, once you have been using it, tell us what you think of it.

VERY nice bench, and a great spot too, this time of year, right in front of the air con! :D

Cheers!

Bob Childress
07-17-2006, 8:03 AM
Lordy, that's a beautiful bench!! The finish looks wonderful. But how will you ever bring yourself to actually do work on it? Might be better off in your dining room.:D

Mark Pruitt
07-17-2006, 8:08 AM
Great looking bench! But I have to say that the best looking thing in your shop today is that air conditioner!!!:D :D :D

David Mueller
07-18-2006, 1:26 AM
Thanks every for the kind words. I just wanted to get it up and running quickly so I thought I'd try the LV legs. I am impressed how heavy and stable everything is. Well tightened, the stretchers allow no racking and I calculate total weight around 300# with the vises. Besides, it looks cool. I feel like a turn of the century cabinetmaker. Yes I have used it and already have some dings you can't really see, it's a bench. I like the beeswax, i've had epoxy and CA drip and I just popped off with fingernail. I'll drill the dog holes after the vises are mounted.

Do you really think I'd put it anywhere but in front of the AC. It was 97F here today but only 74 in the garage. :cool: I might invest in a split unit next year if the overtime gods are kind.

Bob, the LOML is impressed enough that I had to promise to make a new round kitchen table using LV pedestal legs and she'll paint the scroll work. Not sure what wood yet.