PDA

View Full Version : Making zigzags galootishly

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Using only hand tools, what would be your preferred method of making the zigzags as shown below? I'll need to do this soon. Were I more confident of my sawing ability, I'd probably start with two saw cuts. As it stands, I'm not sure that would be the most efficient.

For reference, the triangle is 3-4" high, so the zigzags look like they'd be 3/8-1/2" somewhere. I don't think the size is especially critical (though bigger is probably better), but the regularity would be.

http://static.flickr.com/68/191346176_b5b8901869_o.jpg

Mark Singer
07-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Saw with the grain pare the other side with a chisel

Alan DuBoff
07-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I think Mark is on to something Deirdre, don't be afraid to take out all of those handsaws :p, you could probably cut both sides and use a rasp for any remainder. Would probably be fine with saw cuts alone. I would cut both side with a saw, probably a small crosscut joinery saw if you have one, fine rip will be ok also.

harry strasil
07-17-2006, 1:45 AM
That system looks awful frail and subject to splitting off to me, I would probably just drill a series of holes to slip a peg in if I was doing it. Pegs are easy to make, but notches are hard to repair when one shears off.

If I had to make that complicated system I would make saw both sides or make one saw cut straight down to depth and pare both sides with a chisel.

Or just use the bandsaw and move your foot up and down in mock rythem to an old foot power saw, whose gonna know.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-17-2006, 2:57 AM
Harry, for me, sometimes I'll use power tools because I know them (and yes, I do have access to a band saw and it's not a bad option for this).

However, what I'm trying to do is change my thinking. Sometimes I rely on power tools because I know how to use them and have thought through the whole process. I'm trying to learn how to think without relying on a big, expensive machine (that generally I don't own).

Tonight I managed to cut a 2x8 of hard maple using only three inappropriate saws. I kept looking over to my power miter saw, but honestly, if I don't keep practicing my hand sawing, how am I going to get any good?

I did have a breakthrough tonight, though it's not a cut to be proud of -- I finally realized why my saw cuts started straight, but then veered off the line -- when I was concentrating on starting the cut, I put a lot of attention into how I held my hand. Later, I was trying to follow the line, but didn't notice that my wrist flopped over, making the cut either wander away from the line or stop being perpendicular to the board (or, occasionally, both).

It's the same problem as in shooting. Our instructor told us to close our eyes. An intruder was going to come in and was right in front of us. Aim. Every single one of us instinctively aimed with the index finger pointing down, and we were all surprised when we opened our eyes.

Finally had a bright idea to saw a relief cut so I could check my progress and get a good spot to correct the cut -- and it turns out that by the third time through, I actually had everything back on track. Cut was perpendicular and tracked the line. Pity I'd obscured it already (though I was able to see it on the other side).

http://static.flickr.com/73/191494608_6d7333c398.jpg

harry strasil
07-17-2006, 9:16 AM
Yes, Dierdre sawing can be a pain, most people do create problems by the way they hold the saw and how they grip it. Once I learned to sharpen my own saws and did the setting myself, they quit sawing circles and sawed much faster because of the narrower set which left little room for the saw to wander in the kerf.

People not used to using handsaws get very nervous and use a death grip on the saw handle too. I use a relaxed grip like I was holding a couple of raw eggs in my hand and let the saw do the work. It does take more time to make a cut with a handsaw versus a power saw and due to the modern thinking you never have enough time to get something done so a person rushes the process instead of being relaxed and enjoying the absence of all the power tool noise and sound of a sharp saw eating its way quietly thru a piece of wood. Its kinda like enjoying the sound a sharp plane makes when gliding thru and making nice shavings.

Sawing take concentration, but a relaxed concentration that should put you at ease rather than tense you up. I don't know if you play music while you are working, but soft music will make you relaxed and able to concentrate on what you are doing.

I know you use japanese saws and I have never used them nor do I intend too but if you are not at ease with the tools you are using it will make the work seem tiring and take longer. I use bow saws and normal hand saws all the time and if I am trying for speed I will mess up each time.

You might try a small straight handled thin dovetail saw with fine teeth for sawing your notches and try laying your index finger on top of the saw like you are pointing with it when you use the saw to cut the notches in your shaving horse table adjustment.

good luck and happy sawing, slow down and smell the wood.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
No, I don't play music while I'm working, but that's a good idea.

Actually, I started with Japanese saws, I'm now entirely Western (except for one flush trim saw). I decided to go that way because of the availability of western saw types and the ability to learn to resharpen myself (I'm working on it, just not there yet). I have two bow saws, but one needs either major blade work or a new blade.

Pam Niedermayer
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
When I started I'd have placed the board so I was sawing 90° all the time, requires two board setups. Also, if you're truly cutting gears, might be a good idea to round them over, would be much stronger.

Pam

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-19-2006, 1:37 AM
Yeah, I was thinking two board setups would probably be the way to do it.

I did a lot of work on the project today, got a significant part of it done. Man, I'm so incredibly tired it's not even funny.

Dinner now!