PDA

View Full Version : It's All Rick's Fault!!

Tyler Howell
07-16-2006, 10:43 PM
It's all Rick's fault.
I just go up for a little friendly Picture Police raid (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37576) in God's country a few weeks back and end up shopping for a new home.
I went back to the North Shore, spent all weekend with a realtor and hung out with Rick Schubert and his lovely bride Jill.
Then found this little number that meets almost all the criteria for the next stage of my life.
It has great shop potential and room for expansion. 5 acres of old farm land on the world famous Gun Flint Trail just south of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. (BWCA).
I've only lived in 80-130 Y O houses all my life. Not sure how it is going to be in a new home:confused:
Thanks again Jill and Rick for the warm hospitality. The fish house was again nice and cozy.
Wish me luck.

PS His shop was much messier this time but still no Pix:mad: .
Six more weeks Double Secret Probation.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Tyler........Nice gloat! Is that a photo of the house?

2ndly.....what's the nearest town to that area? I have gone up to that area to open a Boy Scout and Exporer Camp on a couple of occasions. We were north and east of Eely(sp?), MN. There's a chain of lakes and rivers that the voyeagers (sp?) used to bring their furs down for trading. It was the boundary waters on the US side and the Quitico Park on the Canadian sides of the waters.

Jerry Olexa
07-16-2006, 11:39 PM
A friend of mine was married in the Boundary Waters north of Ely. He has told me many stories of the beautiful, unspoiled wilderness there. He did say the winters are rough but you're used to that...Tyler, we need more pics to validate that u were there:D :)

Karl Laustrup
07-17-2006, 5:44 AM
That's a fantastic looking shop Tyler, but where's the house gonna be. :confused: :D

I hope it won't be far from the shop as that could make for some tough going in the winter. Let's see 5 acres of..................TREES. You should start looking for a deal on a chainsaw. ;) :D

Karl

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 9:01 AM
Karl it's almost all shop. whole lower level should be a great walk-in. 6" floors, looks like 10-12ft ceilings.
2 br 1 bath. roughed in 2nd bath. Perfect spot for a 3 car garage and hot tub:D .

PS got the chain saw already.

Ken it's ten minutes drive from Grand Marais. East and North of Ely. MN.
Walk down the driveway and you can see Lake Superior.

Dan Connolly
07-17-2006, 9:14 AM
I hope that is plenty far from the fire currently in that area, 4000 acres as of last night. Looks like a nice place to spend the next phase of life! Stop by sometime on your way up and say hello.

Art Mulder
07-17-2006, 9:25 AM
Huh, looks pretty. Pretty remote too. Got the trench dug to lay in that fiber line, or are you giving up your high-speed Internet? :eek:

Jason Roehl
07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Looks like you might need to install a whole-house water filter, though. Those glasses of water look a little cloudy. You'd better drink some dark beer to cleanse your system of that impure water. :eek: ;) :p :D :cool:

Looks like some pretty nice potential, that's for sure! Just make sure you don't forget which door you're going out! If you're in a hurry, those 2x4's might not stop a guy like you, Tyler!

Jason

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I hope that is plenty far from the fire currently in that area, 4000 acres as of last night. Looks like a nice place to spend the next phase of life! Stop by sometime on your way up and say hello.

Could smell the fires on Saturday. They have been preparing for this for years know the condition of the area. I understand it is a good think for a forest to clear the undergrowth with fire:confused:
Hope this won't be another Yellow stone:( .

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Huh, looks pretty. Pretty remote too. Got the trench dug to lay in that fiber line, or are you giving up your high-speed Internet? :eek:

Going to try satelite. They just got DSL in the area. If not I'll just have them trench in a T1:rolleyes: .

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Just make sure you don't forget which door you're going out! If you're in a hurry, those 2x4's might not stop a guy like you, Tyler!
Deck goes on today.

Jason[/quote]

Norman Hitt
07-17-2006, 5:02 PM
..............And with all that "Glass", you will have NO PROBLEM "Modeling" your collection of "THONGS" for the Locals.:D

Nice looking place, and the 5 acres is great too.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Going to try satelite. They just got DSL in the area. If not I'll just have them trench in a T1:rolleyes: .

If you have any other option besides satellite, go for it. I always tell people that Direcway (now Hughes.net) should change their motto to "Hey, its better than dialup!" I'd much rather have satellite than dialup, but I'd take DSL, cable, or wireless in a heartbeat.

Tyler Howell
07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
If you have any other option besides satellite, go for it. I always tell people that Direcway (now Hughes.net) should change their motto to "Hey, its better than dialup!" I'd much rather have satellite than dialup, but I'd take DSL, cable, or wireless in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the info Matt. I've seen a couple data dishes in the area. I'll dig in a little deeper.

Bruce Page
07-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice digs, when do you move in?

There was a little blurb in the latest Pop Science on satellite. It's faster than dialup but a whole lot slower than DSL or cable. I'ts pretty high dollar too.

Al Willits
07-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Latest I heard is they expect the fire breaks to stop the fire, sure hope so.

Al

Steve Clardy
07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Looks good Tyler. Whats the paper signing date Bud?

Rick Schubert
07-18-2006, 12:02 AM
I'll take full responsibility for anyone coming to the North Shore and falling in love with it. :-)

Consider yourself warned!!

A friend from here drove south back to Mpls today and said the smoke in places was so thick from the fires that it was hard to breath and hurt his eyes. I hope the prescribed burned areas work.

Rick

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Rich.........I made two trips to that area with my FIL and friends. While I live in and love the mountains.....I found I could love that area too!

I have a friend who retired as a FS supervisor. He was one of the people who started prescribed burns here in Idaho. He also has traveled as far as Canada teaching his methods. For the most part they do work, if properly done. Timing is everything!

Jason Roehl
07-18-2006, 7:10 AM
Deck goes on today.

No pics, didn't happen! :D

Joe Mioux
07-18-2006, 9:32 AM
Congratulations Tyler on the new digs