PDA

View Full Version : iniquity and vise(n)...

Matthew Springer
09-23-2003, 12:33 PM
It's looking like my dear, sainted, mother will be senidng a shiny LN #7 my way for my 30th (way to go, mom) so it looks like I'm going to be needing to make a bench. Rather than just sit around theorizing about bench making.

So here're my questions:

A) What's the plural of vise? Vises? Visen? Visii? If we go with Computer Industry Standard English Mutilation Protocol, it should be "visen" to match the plural of Vax or Box (vaxen and boxen respectively).

B) Who makes those nice, German, black face visii hardware and assorted tail vise slides, etc. Anke? Ulmia?

C) Does anybody know anybody who caries the same visen as fine-tools.com, but domesticlly? I know Woodcraft carries some black visen, but they don't appear to have the full line up. I'm especially looking for the twin screw HD face vise fine-tools carries, but without having to ship it from Germany.

-Matthew

Tom Scott
09-23-2003, 1:11 PM
Vices...

Matthew,
Have you checked out Lee Valley for vices? This would be a good place to start. L-V Vices (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=41659&category=1&SID=&ccurrency=2)

Tom

Matthew Springer
09-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Lee Valley has the green ones, and I'm not entirely sure where they're made (but I have my suspicions). The big, black German stuff Woodcraft seels looks to be the same maker as the ones fine-tools seels, but fine-tools has some additonal models that Woodcraft doesn't.

So I'm looking for the big, black visen but domesticlly, as I'd prefer not to ship 30 pounds of visen from Germany.

-Matthew

Matthew Springer
09-24-2003, 12:12 PM
sells, not seels. (sigh)....

Glenn Clabo
09-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Matthew,
Just wanted to let you know that you can edit your post after it's sent. It's a really nice feature of this board. Just click on the little edit block and fix the error. You can also delete a post if you feel like it.

Also...if you want to know where/who makes Lee Valley vices just ask. Rob Lee cruises through here every once in a while so you can send him an email. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?userid=1115

Rob Lee
09-25-2003, 7:38 AM
Matthew -

The Green vises we distribute (sold to others as well) are made in Czech Republic...we used to have the "black ones" too - same quality, higher prices...

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Steve Kubien
09-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Hi there,

I have a pair of the green shoulder visen which Lee Valley sells (only one installed so far). The fit and function is just fine. Nice smooth operation.

My 2¢
Steve K.