PDA

View Full Version : Holly Jones Pecan

Andy Hoyt
07-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Way back in the long ago during that super simple downright dirty thing I acquired a nice little chunk of Pecan from Holly Jones and promptly forgot all about it. Here's a link to the pic she posted - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38575&d=1147740900

So....While being ignored (a bad bad thing to do) it developed a crack through the pith that I did not see until I'd committed to the form, which was supposed to be a nice hollow form as tall and as wide as possible.

Once discovered, I altered course in the hope that the crack might end. It did not. I'm not sure what this is - goblet - hollow form - or thing on a stick. I wasn't too keen on posting it until I considered Holly's perspective and that she might think I was ungrateful. I'm not! So this "whatever it is" is for you Holly. Thanks.

Curt Fuller
07-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Not sure what to call it either except that it looks pretty nice. You did a great job of saving it.

Cecil Arnold
07-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Andy, could it be a "hollow goblin"? Whatever it is, it looks nice, just different--must be art.

Ernie Nyvall
07-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Sir Andy, I think you have a new form and should name it. Nice job on the thing.

Ernie

Hey, it's got a crack in the pith.:p

Barry Stratton
07-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I call it "incredibly cool" Mr. MoA. Great save and interesting (in a good way) new shape/form. Kind of an ort bowl on a pedestal.......

Andy Hoyt
07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
.......Hey, it's got a crack in the pith.:p

Yeth I know, and I'm really pithed off about it.

Vaughn McMillan
07-17-2006, 2:53 AM
I think I've got it, Andy...fill it with lemon jelly, and you've got yourself a jelly donut on a stick. All that recent talk about donut chucks must have had a subliminable effect on you. :p

Pretty piece of wood and nice save, whatever you decide to call it.

- Vaughn

Tom Sherman
07-17-2006, 4:14 AM
Andy, could it be a "hollow goblin"? Whatever it is, it looks nice, just different--must be art.

I like it Hollow Goblin has a catchey ring to it. All kiddn aside, it is a super form and you did real good Andy. Almost looks a bit spiritual.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2006, 7:42 AM
Intriguing form Andy! Nice save on some pretty wood!

Keith Burns
07-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Hollow Goblin, thing, weird...........I just can't think of anything different to call it Andy. You did a nice job on whatever it is:) :)

Tom Jones III
07-17-2006, 9:19 AM
Now that we've started getting into the limb that pecan came from, the pith always cracks and really shrinks.

Now you've really turned up the pressure. Once she sees what can be done with that pecan she'll expect the same results from me, especially if she finds out that you made this on an inferior lathe, not one of those nice mustard lathes like we have.

Doug Whitson
07-17-2006, 9:28 AM
Must have been quite a challenge to keep that piece from blowing up. My two cents on the name goes for gobbowl.

Doug Whitson
Phoenix, AZ.

Michael Stafford
07-17-2006, 9:34 AM
Andy, you are quite the talented turner as well as being the main bon vivant in Benton Falls....;)

Mark Cothren
07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
I keep thinkin' "mushroom cloud" when I see this... did the bomb land? :D

Brian McInturff
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Andy, how thin are the walls. You could drilla hole through the base and make a lamp out of it. If the walls are thin enough it might be translucent. You could start making Tiffany reproductions from HF"s!!

Brian

John Miliunas
07-17-2006, 2:01 PM
Hey Drew, going on Brian's idea, is it large enough to put one of those oil confetti lamps into it? If it's too large, turn an insert with a collar for it to rest in. I think it would make a great looking confetti lamp! Nice job, dude! :) :cool:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-17-2006, 4:20 PM
It looks really cool, Andy. The first thought I had when I saw it was: "Man, that has to be the most interesting brandy snifter I have ever seen!"