PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Woodworker II blade problem?

Afrim Hoxha
09-23-2003, 11:21 AM
I have a Forrest Woodworker II blade. I only use it to cut hardwoods and plywoods. I went to clean it the other day and noticed 8 teeth were chipped from the top of the carbide. Has anyone who owns this blade ever experience that. Is the carbide they use more brittle than others. I am curious to see if this is the norm before I contact Forrest. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron Meadows
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
We need more info to be able to help. Do/did you cut something with metal in it or that had a glob of mud or sand on it?? Did you happen to sit it down on top of your saw top (yes, you can destroy a carbide blade by laying it down on cast iron).

Not accusing, just curious if you happened to do something to it? I have 3 WWII blades and have never experienced what you are describing.

If the chipping isn't too bad a good sharpening will fix it. If there is more extensive damage then the affected teeth need to be replaced. Either way give Forrest a call and see what they recommend.

Ron

Afrim Hoxha
09-23-2003, 1:01 PM
I called Forrest and they will inspect it to see if it was defect in the blade. Tnaks for your help.

Jim Becker
09-23-2003, 3:37 PM
I called Forrest and they will inspect it to see if it was defect in the blade. Tnaks for your help.

That was going to be my suggestion...Forrest is very good to deal with and since they are practically in your back yard, convenient, too. Tony's been good with me!

'Good to see you at SMC, too. (Yea, I'm still employed at the same place...)

Lynn Sonier
09-23-2003, 5:35 PM
I was floating down the creek without a paddle about 4 weeks ago bemoaning the fact that I had found my 3 month old WWII bent. I sent it to Forrest and they apparently straightened it. I then waited with bated breath for the invoice to come in. On the invoice, there were these 2 beautiful letters, per se "NC". The blade seems to be pretty straight now. Thanks, Forrest!!!!!
Lynn

Afrim Hoxha
09-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Dropped it off at Forrest after business hours (The shop is open till midnight). The night foreman looked at it and feels its defective carbide. He will let Tony decide what to do.

Glad you have survived so far. I understand it's not a happy place lately. Good luck there.

Afrim Hoxha
09-23-2003, 10:10 PM
The previous message was for Jim

Jim Becker
09-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Glad you have survived so far. I understand it's not a happy place lately. Good luck there.

Like any workplace, some folks are happy and some are not. I have very little to complain about fortunately...things are busy, busy, busy.

John Preston
09-24-2003, 8:46 AM
I've chipped/ dulled blades a couple of times.

Watch out for the following:

Staples in the ends of hardwood boards. These are bad on planer knives too. Gee, imagine that.

Slivers of metal embedded in between plies of plywood. I've found this on plywood from two different suppliers and sources, once from HD chinese ply, and once from local oak with pine plies.

screws in the wood. Don't ask.

Nails in the wood with the heads pulled off and lurking below the surface.
See above.

Like the other guy said, sand, dirt, etc. Someone gave me the advice to never set a board on the floor of your shop after I complained my planer blades weren't lasting very long. It has been good advice so far.

Mac McAtee
09-24-2003, 9:21 AM
"Staples in the ends of hardwood boards. These are bad on planer knives too."

I look and look and then the one board that I forget to check and "PING". There goes the jointer knives. I manage to do this about every other year. I'd like to strangle the jackass that puts those staples in the end of boards.