PDA

View Full Version : First bowl since the fire!

Forrest Price
07-16-2006, 6:15 PM
Well, I'd finally had enough, and decided to try to get back into the swing of things. I hunted around and found a couple turning tools that I could salvage and got to it. Not sure if the fire damaged the temper of my gouge, but sure didn't want to hold an edge long. I had to attempt to hand sharpen the fingernail grind since I was unable to locate the jig for the Wolverine. It may not have survived.

Anyway, I know now that I WON'T be doing this again until I find/replace that little jig! I can't hand sharpen worth a tinkers dam!

Still, it was fun to finally get at it again. Turn on the fan, crank up the tunes and let the curls fly! This one will have a special home.

Maple with a little spalt and a little curl. Approx 6x3 or so. Finish is Micro mesh and wax. (Gotta get some finishing supplies here soon!) Thanks for looking.

Corey Hallagan
07-16-2006, 6:29 PM
Excellent Forrest! Great to see yah getting back in the swing of things!

corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-16-2006, 7:04 PM
Well you did a fine job onit Forrest. Great looking finish.

Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
07-16-2006, 7:07 PM
The Phoenix bowl. The first of many projects to rise from the ashes.

Nice job, Forrest, and good to see you getting back into the chips.

- Vaughn

Christopher K. Hartley
07-16-2006, 7:11 PM
Ya, what Vaughn said! It sure is a nice one!:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-16-2006, 7:38 PM
Lovely work there, Forrest.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 7:59 PM
First....................Forrest...beautiful bowl! I like the form, finish and execution!

People.........that photo graph doesn't do the bowl justice! I know....after being up all night at the hospital awaiting the arrival of our first Greatgranddaughter...I came home....did some finish work......did some dishes and fell asleep on the couch.........When I awoke......I found that bowl on my back step and I'm not giving it back! The photo doesn't do it justice! Well done Forrest....you've not lost the skills! AND BTW Thanks!:)

John Miliunas
07-16-2006, 8:18 PM
Heckuva' way to get back on it, Forrest! You done did it in fine style, I may add! :) Mine don't come out that nice and I still do have the proper jig to sharpen with! :rolleyes: :o :D :cool:

Barry Stratton
07-16-2006, 9:21 PM
That is beautiful! Glad to see you and your shop kicking out quality projects again!

Something tells me you did something to deserve that bowl there Ken!

Andy Hoyt
07-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Vaughn nailed the title and you nailed the effort.

Welcome back Officer Price

Tom Sherman
07-17-2006, 3:44 AM
Excellent bowl Forrest, sorry to hear bout the fire, but what a way to come back great job.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-17-2006, 6:31 AM
Great Bowl, and it sure does relax the soul don't it! :D

Keith Burns
07-17-2006, 8:24 AM
Great bowl Forrest:) Glad you're spinning again:) :)

Forrest Price
07-19-2006, 1:37 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. It was fun to get back into it finally, although I'm not sure how I found the time with that darned Abysseration thread going on!:D