PDA

View Full Version : I told her I was "Having FUN."

Mike Jory
07-16-2006, 5:12 PM
Picture this; I'm in the side yard, it's about 95+ degrees, I almost can't see through the face mask from the persperation dripping off my face, my head is throbbing. I'm dirty and covered in chain saw shavings.
My wife comes out and says "What are you doing?" I reply "I'm having 'fun', turning is 'fun' and I'm getting ready to have more of it!"
So after the chain saw, I hated to mess up a finally clean shop so I took the band saw outside to continue having "FUN"

This is what is left of a huge pine tree I had removed. This is all to practice making some boxes, and goblets before I turn the Honey Mesquite, Ash and Black Cherry and others.

Corey Hallagan
07-16-2006, 5:16 PM
I don't envy you in this hot weather. Looks like you will have some nice wood to work with! Congrats!
Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
07-16-2006, 5:46 PM
Ya know what Mike, sometimes the wives just don't get it. Come to think of it neither do I. I sweat it out in that hot garage itching with wood chips, dirty from the dust and aching from standing on my feet so long but It is fun. Figure that?:confused: Nice looking blanks you have there!:)

Ernie Nyvall
07-16-2006, 6:56 PM
Ya know what Mike, sometimes the wives just don't get it. Come to think of it neither do I. I sweat it out in that hot garage itching with wood chips, dirty from the dust and aching from standing on my feet so long but It is fun. Figure that?:confused: Nice looking blanks you have there!:)

Yep, and two days out in the hot sun cutting up a pecan tree.

Nice haul Mike.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
07-16-2006, 7:07 PM
Yep, and two days out in the hot sun cutting up a pecan tree.

Nice haul Mike.

Ernie Ya, who'd figure?:D And soaked in the rain as well!

Vaughn McMillan
07-16-2006, 7:12 PM
Yeah, sometimes our description of "fun" is a bit different from other folks, huh? Looks like a nice haul. Be sure to show the results when you get some turnings out of it.

- Vaughn

P.S. I see you did indeed get the picture thing dialed in. Way to go.

George Conklin
07-16-2006, 8:01 PM
I don't envy you in this hot weather. Looks like you will have some nice wood to work with! Congrats!
Corey

Wait a second here!!! You're from San Fransisco... I didn't think it ever got HOT there.:confused:

Nice wood haul.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 8:04 PM
Nice wood gloat and haul!

About the FUN.......If somebody tried to force us to do it or tried to pay us a lowly wage to do it...............Would we do it?:confused:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-16-2006, 8:09 PM
If somebody tried to force us to do it or tried to pay us a lowly wage to do it...............Would we do it?

Dunno about you, Ken, but I for one would tell them that I and my skills are worth much more, or cannot be coerced (whichever the case may be). Then I would go home, happily do the same work for no pay, and what I could sell (if I sold any) would net me less than if I had taken the low-wage job. :)

BTW, Mike, great haul!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 8:10 PM
My sentiments exactly Henry!:o

Tom Sherman
07-17-2006, 3:27 AM
Great haul Mike, looks like you'll have plenty of wood to practice with, by the way some of that pine could turn out pretty good just watch out for the sap.
Henry, I enjoy turning so much sometimes I think I would pay someone to let me turn...course the check would have to drawn on the SMC Turners forum bank.:D

Barry Stratton
07-17-2006, 4:08 AM
...............Would we do it?:confused:

Did you mean Wood we do it?....

Great wood gloat!