PDA

View Full Version : Turning willow?

Greg Wandless
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Isabel downed a neighbor's weeping willow, so I grabbed a couple of hunks from the trunk. Some color in the heartwood looks like it might be worth trying, but as I was cutting it up with the chain saw it sure doesn't smell very good.

Anybody tried willow before?

Thanks,
Greg

John Miliunas
09-23-2003, 8:52 PM
Anybody tried willow before?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, please don't take this as the final word, as my turning abilities are marginal, at best. I did, however, try some Willow a co-worker gave me from a recently downed tree last Spring. Didn't care for it at all. Even with sharp tools, it came out real "thready". I think that may be why they often use it for bentwood projects. Just couldn't get a nice, smooth surface on it, no matter what I tried. Now I don't know...Maybe once it's dried properly over a few years, it may be a different story. :cool:

robert baccus
04-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Never triedwillow before a friend gave me some large mineral stained black willow. black as spades! all of us tried several pieces and i love it. turns great wet. (throw it in thr frog pond for a week) has almost no tendency to crack--some slight warping. the surprise is that every piece came out a different color. some just like walnut, some like a light blue, and some black--------wierd--------ol forester:confused:

Rod Sheridan
04-30-2009, 8:35 AM
I've turned willow green, to make bowls, and with sharp tools it turns very well.

The colour is unpredicatable (which can be a feature in a turning).

Have fun with the willow...........Rod.

Burt Alcantara
04-30-2009, 9:06 AM
I turn a lot of willow. Mostly, because I still have large amounts from a tree felled 3 years ago. Willow is soft with an almost white fiber. Knots are generally soft and have interesting figure around them. Willow is susceptible to various fungi and molds which, more often then not, will greatly enhance grain.

It is easy to turn and can be turned paper thin is desired. Best is to rough turn to 15% or more because it needs a lot of finishing. If you put the time in you will get a beautiful turning.

In the past I finished with frictioned BLO and SealCoat. This gives a rich "woody" finish and brings out any figure present. Lately, I've been just using a few coats of clear poly. The effect is similar to bleaching.

However, as with all things, YMMV.
Burt

Matt Day
04-30-2009, 9:39 AM
I wonder if digging up a 5 1/2 year old thread has set a new record? :D j/k

jason lambert
04-30-2009, 2:00 PM
I guess I can ask then how did it turn out!