PDA

View Full Version : Trials of buying and installing a new Dryer

Ned Bulken
07-16-2006, 4:37 PM
So, Lori and I have been coping with a busted dryer for a couple of months now, which translates to either drying on the line (no problem, but we've had lots of rain) or trips to the laundromat with wet laundry...

We had a nice chunk of gift money sitting there, and so yesterday we decided to buy a new Dryer... hop in the truck and trundle off to the blue Borg. We find the model we want, eventually get to the head of the line with the area Drone; Chris, who was Very helpful. He makes sure there is one left in the back room, and that it will be waiting for us at the front of the store.
"Honey while we're here, let's go look at fans" she says....

:eek:

"Yes dear," I say...

We pick out a fan, and I tote it plus some of the required accessories for the dryer to the front of the store, manfully avoiding the tool crib...

The Dronette at the register doesn't listen when I say 'plus that big box right next to you' twice... I finally get it through her head that the Dryer literally 4 feet from her register is Mine, and that yes, I'd like to buy it as well. sheesh.

We get the fan and the accesories in the cab of the truck, and I hand-truck the dryer out to the pickup. Several red vests (blue borg drones) in the area, noone offers to help load the dryer into my pickup.

Another Customer comes by and he and I tip it up and into the pickup. (they're not heavy, just bulky).

Since we're right next door to the megamart, Lori stops in and buys dinner, which we go home and cook on our new grill.

we get home, cook dinner and clean out the laundry room of all of the crud that got dumped in front of the non-functioning dryer.

Eventually we get to removing the dryer, starting with the gas line...

"crescent wrench? I thought you Had a crescent wrench honey" she says

"Operative term is 'Had', until the kids lost it on me. No I don't have one that will fit that any more... but I'll go get one.

half an hour later, one trip to Sears Hardware, I now have two new crescent wrenches (hey it was a package, only $4 more and I have a 6" and an 8" crescent wrench, (such a deal), plus a 4 pack of other useful items: 6" diagonal cutter (dykes), 8 1/2" long nose 6 & 1/2" slip join and 8" adjustable joint pliers just in case. Never pass up a reason to buy a tool.

I eventually get the gas line removed from the old dryer, and we start lifting it up to take it outside. It literally fell apart in our hands, and we had to take it out in sections. Door/front panel first. Drum 2nd and then the remainder of the unit third.

By now it is 21:30, we're exhausted, hot tired and grouchy. She wants it hooked up NOW, but I point out that we still need a fitting for the gas line, and that I'd go up to the local hardware store first thing in the AM.

This morning I do just that, twice. Had to come home and bring back the gas line for us to get the right sized fittings to adapt the line to the dryer. It now is installed, working fine and she is Very happy.

David Wilson
07-16-2006, 4:54 PM
Ned
Don't you just love honney-do-lists.
Glad you got it working.

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2006, 5:33 PM
These "easy" projects never work out the way they should. Have had similar adventures many times. Glad you got 'er done in the end.

Ned Bulken
07-16-2006, 5:33 PM
me too, and it IS working. She's at work, and I'm catching up on laundry.

skip coyne
07-16-2006, 6:06 PM
you got some new tools out of the deal ...thats always a good thing

to bad they expect us to actully WORK with them .:D

(sitting here typing when I know shes going to be home in 20 min or so and I still havent cleared the drain on the back bathroom sink yet ):rolleyes:

Bryan Somers
07-16-2006, 8:41 PM
Been there too. Love those quick honey-doos. Have also had to help other custumers load stuff cause the piad staff woulndt, couldnt, or didnt care.
Glade you Got-R-Done.

Jim O'Dell
07-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Wait a minute....Aren't you still on your honeymoon?????? You don't do dryers on your honeymoon!!!!!!!!:D :D :p Yeah, I'm married too.....Jim.

Ned Bulken
07-17-2006, 8:58 PM
Wait a minute....Aren't you still on your honeymoon?????? You don't do dryers on your honeymoon!!!!!!!!:D :D :p Yeah, I'm married too.....Jim.

honeymoon?HA! last sunday (the day after...) I was up on the ladder clearing out the gutters of about 7 mid sized bags of volunteer ash trees, leaves and other debris.

Kyle Kraft
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Wow! You still have Ash trees in New York??

They are cutting all ours down and making safe, insect free mulch out of them.