PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox

Ryan Lee
07-16-2006, 4:21 PM
Here is my new mailbox as a couple of crackheads decided to take out my old one. I encased a PT 4x4 in cedar. I can't get over the price at HD. I need to find a new source for wood here in Jacksonville. I got spoiled going to the saw mill in Indiana.

Brian Hale
07-16-2006, 4:28 PM
Nice looking mailbox/post Ryan but i think we can do without the first pic.

Brian

Chris Barton
07-16-2006, 5:13 PM
Nice mailbox! And, it's time to move. You know things are tough when the "crackies" are reduced to stealing mailboxes.

Corey Hallagan
07-16-2006, 5:14 PM
nice job Ryan,!

Corey

Ryan Lee
07-16-2006, 7:25 PM
They didn't steal it, they ran it over with that car. I got some pictures of them, but the police couldn't do anything about it. They also took out two other neighbors mailboxes. Needless to say I have the best mailbox on the block now.

Bob Childress
07-17-2006, 7:56 AM
Ryan,

That's a very nice mailbox. :D Too bad they ran over the old one, but it made a good excuse to make something special.

I had a similar problem last fall, only my wife was the one who took the mailbox out.:eek: So, since I am basically lazy, and the post itself was still salvageable, I sort of did what you did and cut the post off with my chain saw and encased the "stump" in cedar. Came out pretty well, I think.

The wife changes the flowers according to the season. We never speak of the original incident.:o

Alex Shanku
07-17-2006, 8:47 AM
LOL @ crackheads...More like a couple of girls who snorted one line to many at a party and were still up and running.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2006, 9:08 AM
Ryan........I had a similar problem but it was caused by people's inattentive driving. My BIL from Illinois hit it ...taking it out......A neighbor's son was watching their house while they were on vacation...he took it out.....The thing about it is that it sits 3 feet from a telephone pole. How anyone would hit it without hitting the telephone pole is beyond me. I replaced it with one I had welded up at a local welding shop. Schedule 40, 4" pipe.....1/2" steel plate at the bottom and 1/4" steelplate at the top. I made a form and put 7 bags of concrete in it with 4 J-bolts. Then attached the post and mailbox...

I had a young women hit it recently. Her husband was giving her a tongue lashing. It destroyed the fiberglass cover on the tire carrier of her new Toyota Rav4. I backed my 1-top pu up to it.....Hooked a comealong to the rear of the pu and winched the mailbox back vertical...checking it with a level! Definitely did more damage to their car!

Kyle Kraft
07-17-2006, 9:17 AM
Be careful when turning your mailbox into an immovable fortress. The little pamphlet from the USPS basically states that your mailbox has to be on a spindly, flimsy mount so that when an inattentive individual hits your mailbox they don't get hurt. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt (or spill any beer on their seat) when they take out your box.:D

I imagine the folks who have a 2' square brick column with a clay tile liner and a metal vault mailbox encased therein probably can affor a few mills of liability insurance to boot.

Frank Fusco
07-17-2006, 9:31 AM
Be careful when turning your mailbox into an immovable fortress. The little pamphlet from the USPS basically states that your mailbox has to be on a spindly, flimsy mount so that when an inattentive individual hits your mailbox they don't get hurt. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt (or spill any beer on their seat) when they take out your box.:D

I imagine the folks who have a 2' square brick column with a clay tile liner and a metal vault mailbox encased therein probably can affor a few mills of liability insurance to boot.

Jerks hit YOUR (or OUR) mailbox and it's OUR fault? [Enter a deleted explitive here. :mad: ] I once set a 10" log in concrete for our mailbox and later had the pleasure of watching a drunk cave in the front of his 4WD expensive SUV on it. :D

Christopher Pine
07-17-2006, 2:53 PM
Jerks hit YOUR (or OUR) mailbox and it's OUR fault? [Enter a deleted explitive here. :mad: ] I once set a 10" log in concrete for our mailbox and later had the pleasure of watching a drunk cave in the front of his 4WD expensive SUV on it. :D

Well some people would say you had some fault after all you put your mail box there...

:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-17-2006, 9:00 PM
Well some people would say you had some fault after all you put your mail box there...

Well yes. There are doctrines in the law that place the onus on a person doing a thing not to do it in such a fashion that it presents a hazard. It is referred to as a duty owed to the public.
So there is always an argument to be made that the thing done (mail box) was done ins a manner that demonstrated a reckless indifference for human life, or with the intent that id would potentially cause a harm, or done in such a way that the actor (guy who installs the mail box) knew that whatever hazard it poses was greater than necessary to effect the proper and correct purpose.

On the other side the argument can be raised that the drunk assumed the risk by driving tanked, that he was breaking the law and had dirty hands, and of course the old standby "Hey, I don't know nuthin about hazards, I just wanted a mailbox what's all the fuss?"