PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Availability/Pricing

Bob Kline
07-16-2006, 3:13 PM
I'm looking for an economical source for acrylic bars 1" thick X 2" wide X any length because I'll cut to size. Any suggestions? Also, I've read somewhere in this forum that one type of acrylic engraves better than the other but I can't find that reference. TIA for your help.
Bob Kline

Lee DeRaud
07-16-2006, 3:18 PM
Dunno about "economical", but I seem to recall that McMaster-Carr has acrylic bar stock.

And for your second question, extruded cuts better, cast engraves better.

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2006, 3:43 PM
With acrylic and the weight it's going to be more economical to pick it up locally. Here we have at least 8 plastic suppliers within 20 miles and on a big job I can get quotes and go with the best price, though normally I stick to the place right here in the same business park. Look in the yellow pages under Plastic. Start with the wholealers but many retailers will give a wholesale price or at least not charge tax with your re-sale number.

Dave Jones
07-16-2006, 5:27 PM
I think most long square bars are extruded. You can get cubes and some sizes of blocks in cast.

Jerry Allen
07-16-2006, 6:48 PM
Try Delvies:
http://www.delviesplastics.com/pdf%20files/acrylic.pdf

I don't know about what Lee said. I think cell cast cuts and engraves better as well as machines (drill, tap, cut) better. The only think about it is that it has a wider tolerance range as far as thickness goes which is real annoying and causes me to tweak my designs with each order and sheet. I had been using extruded for gears but the teeth edges on the cell cast come out significantly smoother, straighter, and more uniform. Zeroing in hole tolerance is a more troublesome, but more repeatable once you've got it.

Mike Null
07-16-2006, 9:05 PM
Definitely check the yellow pages for local suppliers. You can buy scraps at bargain prices.

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Back on types, Lee was right, the more expensive cast or "cell cast" engraves much cleaner. It cuts nicely too, but the cheaper extruded cuts with a more polished look to it. Unfortunately extruded engraves with sort of a muddy texture, Ok for small thin text but not as good for wider larger engraving or paint fills. For thick pieces like awards I'd stick to cast.