PDA

View Full Version : Clock case question

Alan Tolchinsky
09-22-2003, 11:44 PM
I'm making a wall clock similar to the one in the picture and have a question about the moldings that attach to the top and bottom of the case. What's the best way to cut them and attach them to the clock case? Do you have to have a miter saw for this? Thanks Alan in Md.

p.s. I hope the pics attach; first time for this.

Todd Burch
09-22-2003, 11:58 PM
You can use a tablesaw to cut all those mouldings. It would have to be a compound cut - with the miter gauge angles and the blade tilted, but yes, it can be done. The amount of splay dictates the settings. No, I don't have a table or xref sheet! ;)

The best (read "easiest") for me would be with a compound miter saw. I like it because it's idiot (Todd) proof.

I would glue and nail them in place. On any built-up mouldings, I would nail one moulding where the next would cover the nail holes, etc.

Lynn Sonier
09-23-2003, 6:00 PM
Todd, I did an ambry (case for holy oil and water for a local church) a couple of years ago. The front of the case had 5 facets. I used , I think, 25 pieces of short molding and cut all of them on my table saw. I would fit a piece and use 5 minute epoxy and clamps - nary a hole to fill. My customers were very pleased with the piece.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-25-2003, 3:25 AM
asdfdfasdfffafsfdd