PDA

View Full Version : Newbie turner face shield question

Brent Smith
07-16-2006, 9:27 AM
Reading the poll thread about faceshields has brought up a question. As some of you know, I just bought my first lathe, so which face shield do you guys recommend? With or without a respirator?

Thanks...Brent

Chris Barton
07-16-2006, 10:22 AM
HI Brent,

I just bought a new shield from Environemetal Safety Products that is not a filtered mask but, does have a ridgid polycarbonate face shield ($17). This buble shield offers much greater protection than a plain shield. Filtration is fine but, it is also expensive. If you have $300 to put into it the Trend Airshield appears to be the standard. While only a few shields come with a full helment head cover, you may want to consider one. My face shield has saved my eyes and face many times from flying bits and bowls but, I have had a fairly large bowl come off the lathe and ricochett off the ceiling and hit me on the top of my head (OUCH!). Since I turn mostly on my PM3520a I suppose that the safety cage would prevent this but, I have never even placed my on the lathe and have never known anyone that actually used the safety cage.

Bob Noles
07-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Brent,

Based on the recommendation of most creekers, I purchased the Trend Airshield and have been extremely happy with it.

Ernie Nyvall
07-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I had a regular face shield at first because you need to cover no matter what, but I saved a bit for the Trend air shield and it is worth it. It doesn't fog up and it keeps the dust from my lungs. Also, my face doesn't sweat in this heat so there is no dripping in the eyes.

Ernie

Stephen Hibbs
07-16-2006, 1:18 PM
Even if you get the trend, go pick up 2 or 3 cheap ones at your local hardware store for visitors and to fill that space before the trend arrives. I use a $5 shield and $15 respirator and I am very pleased with both of them. You don't have to pay big bucks for good protection, though I plan on gettng a nicer shield some time in the near future since mine is gunked up now. Getting hit on the head isn't an issue since the shed I use is shorter than me ;) , but you might look into a hardhat.

Brent Smith
07-16-2006, 2:16 PM
:eek: Now you all have me worrying. Getting hit in the head with flying wood......does it cause much damage to the wood?:D

Tom Sherman
07-16-2006, 2:21 PM
Brent, that depends on the amount of Rockwell hardness of your head.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 2:22 PM
Brent.......the nature of my job and my employer REQUIRES that I wear safety glasses. So......my everyday glasses are tri-focal safety glasses. I have a cheap full face shield I wear anytime I use a router or a drillpress. When I began turning in February it was just a matter of using it when I'm turning. Last weekend I was turning what may be the prettiest piece of wood I've turned to date. It was a piece of gnarly cracked apricot. That bowl exploded and bounced off the wall 23' away. I've had one other bowl exploded on me. In both cases, luckily for me, I was out over the bed presenting the leading bevel of my bowl gouge to the rim of the bowl and wasn't in the line of fire. You only have to have one explode/launch one time to appreciate the benefit of a full face shield besides improved eye protection!

Ernie Nyvall
07-16-2006, 5:47 PM
......does it cause much damage to the wood?:D

Not really, but it's hard to sand out the red stains.:eek:

Ernie

Tom Jones III
07-17-2006, 9:13 AM
I suppose that the safety cage would prevent this but, I have never even placed my on the lathe and have never known anyone that actually used the safety cage.

I always use my squirrel cage whenever there is a chance of a launch. Make the decision to use it at all times that it is appropriate and don't make any exceptions. By the time you are finished with your second bowl you won't even notice it anymore.

Brent Smith
07-17-2006, 5:25 PM
Thanks guys...all kidding aside, you've given me something to think about. In my ignorance, I've always viewed a lathe as one of the safer shop machines. I've definately reevaluated my thinking on that one. It sounds like the Trend is the way to go.

BTW....turned my first spindle today....looks like a crippled dandelion, but it sure was fun.

Brent

Dennis Peacock
07-17-2006, 6:01 PM
Brent,

I have and use a Trend and like it a lot. I also have a cheap standard faceshield that I also use from time to time as well as my younger son wears it when he's turning at the lathe. A faceshield for turning is a very good safety item to have and wear.

Barry Stratton
07-18-2006, 3:31 AM
BTW....turned my first spindle today....looks like a crippled dandelion, but it sure was fun.

Brent

GOOD ONE, I can relate.....:D :D :D Congrats on the newest toy...er, tool!