PDA

View Full Version : ProjectMate at Amazon...

Greg Koch
07-16-2006, 3:05 AM
Does anyone have this? Worth $35/Free shipping? Thinking even a gift for my BIL.:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BASSJ4/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-5556887-6270335?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=228013

Bob Childress
07-16-2006, 7:44 AM
Whoa, Greg, tough question. What skill level is your BIL? How well do you get along with him? :rolleyes: How much use will it get?

I've never used this product but I have been deperately getting rid of all my old B&D tools as fast as I can. When I was growing up, B&D electric tools were the bee's knees but nowadays I just sort of think of them as a joke. Still, it's an interesting concept I suppose.

Not too helpful I know but it will be interesting to see if any Creekers actually use this tool.

Bob Noles
07-16-2006, 7:49 AM
Greg,

Not to rain on a parade, but I had the B&D detail sander and gave it to my BIL too :p :p :p

B&D is not what it used to be long long ago.

Ian Barley
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I once discussed "consumer" grade tools with an engineer who pointed out that they were, by and large, used by their consumer owners for a few hours a year at the most and that if they lasted 5 years most people were happy. Whenever I look at a tool like this I think of that conversation. There is a reason why "continuously rated" and "industrial strength" tools are not cheap.

The other thing is that, as a generallity, things that are made to do one thing are likely to do it better than an attachment on a gee-whizz gizmo like this. If your need is to sand 5 sq inches of filler on your wall every other year then the sander attachment may be all that you need. If you are planning on sanding for more than 5 minutes at a time then a sander is what you need.

Not disparaging this tool or others like it - just making observations based on my experience.

Ken Werner
07-16-2006, 4:46 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but I once had a 6' ladder that got a bit rickety.

I told my B-I-L, an engineer, that I bought a really good ladder [an industrial strength 1A] , because I was afraid that I'd fall off the old ladder and break my neck.

"So" he replied "I should fall off and break my neck?"

Anyway, good luck with your B-I-L.

PS he didn't take the ladder.
PPS I have fallen off the good ladder, and did not break my neck, but didn't do my rear end or pride much good.

Ken

Greg Koch
07-17-2006, 3:07 AM
Thanks for the replies... My BIL is a once-a-month handyman, just to keep my sister off his rear... Thinking about it, she might use it more!:eek:

I thought I saw a thread with a nice quality "system" like this one here before, but I can't remember where...

I am also dissappointed in what has happened to B&D tools. Too bad, as they used to be fairly good long ago. Anyway, it was a good price and I appreciate your comments.

James Ayars
07-18-2006, 4:45 PM
Greg, one of my employees has an earlier version of that B&D system. It was given to him as a gift. His does several things "ok" but does none of them well. From time to time I'll buy him a power tool as a "Thank you" for being a valued employee. Over time he used his B&D system less and less until he now never uses it instead using the things I have given him. Recently he's been talking about giving it to his younger brother.
James

Greg Koch
07-18-2006, 5:47 PM
This is the "multi tool" I was trying to remember when I saw the B&D! I think some of the guys here have one....No?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RSIS/104-5556887-6270335?v=glance&n=228013