PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Raised Panel W/Glass

Bob_Hammond
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
My wife would like me to remove the raised panel from one set of kitchen cabinet uppers and replace it with glass. Any tips on how to do this? I'm thinking that I would use a router to remove the lip on the back of the rails and stiles, but I'm not sure what bit to use.

Thanks

Bob

Norman Hitt
07-15-2006, 10:47 PM
My wife would like me to remove the raised panel from one set of kitchen cabinet uppers and replace it with glass. Any tips on how to do this? I'm thinking that I would use a router to remove the lip on the back of the rails and stiles, but I'm not sure what bit to use.

Thanks

Bob

Bob, you're on the right track. I would clamp the door flat on a bench/table, and use a 1/2" STRAIGHT bit. I would clamp a guide fence alongside the door that is thicker than the door and exactly parallel to the door's frame. The distance from your cut line to the fence should be the same as that distance from the cutting edge of the bit to the edge of the router's base. This will give you a straight line and keep from routing too wide into the door's frame, ie; rail/stile. I sould set the depth of the bit to cut just SLIGHTLY less than the depth from the back face of the door frame to the panel groove, and then finish the cut with a sharp utility knife, and square up the corners with a chisle and lift the panel out.

Note: you could also use a spiral bit, but sometimes they don't make as smooth of a cut as a straight bit.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Buxton
07-15-2006, 10:56 PM
The router will work. Use a straight bit. Guide it with the router's edge guide, running along the outside edge of the door.

Before you cut into the door, think about how you're going to hold the glass in place. There are many possibilities -- caulk, wooden strips held by screws, uply little metal screw-clamps, plastic grommet, etc. The choice may depend on what you're willing to look at when you open the door, and how much work you're willing to put into this.