PDA

View Full Version : 2 Garage Sale Planes

Paul O'Halloran
07-15-2006, 8:29 PM
http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/planes.jpg

I picked up these 2 planes at a sale last week for $10
The one on the right is 6" long with no markings. The blade was sharpened at 45 degrees. Is this too steep ???
The one on the right is 9" long and has several markings. The tag on it is " J.Nooitgedast & Zonen " The blade & the front of the plane Have a crown & the initials "JN " There is a chip breaker in this one, it looks like a well made tool.
I did a search on the name and it was a Dutch tool company in buisness for 150 years. A post from this forumn showed up. someone found chisels with that name on it.
They look like a painter must have owned them.
paul

Derek Cohen
07-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi Paul

The 9" would likely be a smoother and the 6" a block plane.

The 45 degree bevel is very high in a bevel down plane. It is likely the result of the bevel rounding from repeated freehand honing. Regrind and hone them at 25-30 degrees.

Nooitgedacht made excellent tools in their day, so these are worth rehabilitating. Check that the soles are flat and that the mouth is tight (unlikely). Add a patch to the sole to tighten up the mouth, if needed.

The green paint is evidence that the planes were used by aliens. This is the calling card. They seem to find their way to many garages and workshops, and it is always the same green paint. Proof that it an alien visitation is simple - the paint markings will appear on your planes even when you do not have any paint - nevermind green paint - on the premises. This is a well know fact.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Mittlefehldt
07-16-2006, 1:43 AM
Hi Paul

The 45 degree bevel is very high in a bevel down plane. It is likely the result of the bevel rounding from repeated freehand honing. Regrind and hone them at 25-30 degrees.

Nooitgedacht made excellent tools in their day, so these are worth rehabilitating. Check that the soles are flat and that the mouth is tight (unlikely). Add a patch to the sole to tighten up the mouth, if needed.

The green paint is evidence that the planes were used by aliens. This is the calling card. They seem to find their way to many garages and workshops, and it is always the same green paint. Proof that it an alien visitation is simple - the paint markings will appear on your planes even when you do not have any paint - nevermind green paint - on the premises. This is a well know fact.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Man that explains everything, those darn aliens and their green paint, wonder why green.

Hey Paul how are you, the railway museum here in St. Thomas is open again, I believe it was you asking about it.

Mark Rios
07-16-2006, 1:53 AM
Hi Paul

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I'm afraid that I will have to disagree with you, to a point. I believe that your premise is only true in your (southern) hemisphere. I believe that we have the opposite phenomenon up north here, as in the toilet water swirling backwards phenomenon and the backwards differences of our languages. Here, in California, the aliens DO NOT have the requisite green, namely in the form of some sort of card. This is absolutely a fact here in this northern hemisphere; the necessary green is totally lacking with our aliens. Sorry.

Jim W. White
07-16-2006, 11:38 AM
The green paint is evidence that the planes were used by aliens. This is the calling card.....

Derek,

I laughed so hard, my wife ran in from across the house to see what I was up to. That finally explains the state of many of my Dad's tools! ...I guess it's only a matter of time before mine are assimilated. :D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-16-2006, 1:04 PM
My #8 has clearly had a Visitation. Alert the media!

harry strasil
07-16-2006, 1:27 PM
FWIW - I have acquired several Woodies with the same alien condition. I used Formbys Antique Improver to remove the alien applied paint by putting a liberal coat on and letting it soak in for awhile, then using an old coarse weave work sock, I started the rubbing eradication process. It takes time but leaves the original patina on the plane and gives it a nice finish. I found out by the worn areas in the original patina on a small woody block plane that it was used by a left handed WW'er.

I love the aged look of the patina.

My 2 ¢ worth

Paul O'Halloran
07-16-2006, 4:11 PM
Thanks for the info Derek

JAmes, yes I was checking on the museum, The woodwokers in our area on the Can. WW forunm are planning a barbecue Just East of Woodstock on July 29th. Details here if you want to attend
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12430

paul

harry strasil
07-16-2006, 7:14 PM
Man that explains everything, those darn aliens and their green paint, wonder why green.

painting house screens in the old days probably.

Chris Walls
07-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes absolutely, has to be Alien's. It seems every tool I ever bought at a garage sale or anything short of new had it on it. I guess I just never new where it came from. Now I know, ALIEN'S without a doubt. Chris

James Mittlefehldt
07-17-2006, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the info Derek

JAmes, yes I was checking on the museum, The woodwokers in our area on the Can. WW forunm are planning a barbecue Just East of Woodstock on July 29th. Details here if you want to attend
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12430

paul

Much as I would like to attend I am going to attend a wedding that weekend in Brantford, so regrettably will have to decline.