PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a drum Sander

Adam Howard
07-15-2006, 7:35 PM
I've pretty much decided it's about time I take the plunge on a good drum sander, and I'm looking for recommendations.

The models I'm looking at right now are the Performax 16-32 and 22-44. I also may consider the Delta X5 18-36. Not sure I'd want to go Griz, because of the shipping issue, but may consider it.

I'll use this for just about everything - glued panels, cutting boards, boxes, rings for segmented bowls, homemade veneers, and dealing with figured timbers.

I just was wondering if any of you folks have experience with any of those models to help me firm up my choice. I've used drum sanders before, so I'm aware of their limitations, etc. Just wanting some real-people's opinion on which one to get.

Thanks for the help!

Chris Barton
07-15-2006, 7:46 PM
I have the 22-44 and it has been a very nice machine. I wish the conveyor belt were rubber rather than a giant sanding belt. Aside from that, I have no complaints. It has been a real time saver, but at 1/6th the price, pun intended.

Forrest Price
07-15-2006, 8:52 PM
I've got the X5 18x36. Nice unit. One thing bugs me though, not sure if it's just mine or not, but the table raises up & down to adjust thickness, ok? It's controlled by a crank, which turns a gear which drives a cog belt around 4 pulleys. This belt can slip a tooth now and then, which can cause the table to misalign and make it a little stiff to raise and lower. It's also a major chore to get the table exactly level. Might be a picky thing on my part, and I have no experience with the Performax. Mine was a great price at $400 slightly used, so I jumped on it when I could.

Buying new, I don't know, it'd be tough giving up the capacity of the 18", but would be nice to have something the table stayed still on.

Good luck...I probably didn't help, more likely made it worse!:o

Ron Blaise
07-15-2006, 9:59 PM
a 22-44 Plus Performax. I haven't had it for very long but it more than meets my needs. I was just experimenting with making veneer out of cherry with it and it works great. I got it down to 1/32" with no problem, could have gone even less. Wish I'd had it long before now. Of course, mine is a hobby shop. If I were making a living wood working I would get a bigger, double drum or even a belt sander. Try a Performax out at a WoodCraft store, might be the one for you too.
Happy sawdust,

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Bigger is usually better.

Charlie Plesums
07-16-2006, 12:06 AM
I have the Performax 16/32. The only time I wished for wider, I wished for a lot wider, so I haven't regretted my choice. When I get a belt gooked up with sap or glue, I am glad it is only 8 feet of belt (for the 16 inch long drum, not 11 feet or whatever for the 22 inch long drum. And when I had to replace the feed belt (after a few years), it was expensive enough as is.

Incidentally I am doing a project now where I am sanding over 32 inches wide. I sanded each section (3 or 4) separately. Put the widest in the center, then glue another (less than 16 inches wide) on the outside. When the glue is dry, sand the outside panel and joint to match the center. (I just glued on the last panel tonight, so will be able to comment on the technique in a day or two).

Brad Townsend
07-16-2006, 6:13 AM
I've got the X5 18x36. ........It's also a major chore to get the table exactly level. Might be a picky thing on my part, and I have no experience with the Performax. I have a Performax 16-32 and it's also a bit finicky getting it level. Probably common to any open-ended drum sander, but once accomplished, does a really nice job.

Mike Cutler
07-16-2006, 7:52 AM
Bigger is usually better.

Ditto.

Adam. I have the Performax 16-32. It's a nice "lite duty" sander. It really excels on the thin stuff, veneer, and such.
On 4/4 stock though it is slightly lacking. The head has a tendency to deflect. This means that I have to flip the material and do multiple passes, at the same thickness setting, to ensure that the board is uniformally sanded across the face. Don't get me wrong. It will do a nice job, but it can be time consuming.
I have never had any real sucess trying to sand something wider than 16" either, but when I did have a need the material was pretty heavy, and probably exceeded the capabilities of the 16-32.
Long boards are also a little challenging. Too much length and you easily end up with either a lever or a spring that can cause the head to deflect and snipe the material.

I know it seems as if I am bashing the Performax 16-32. I'm not, and I have done a lot of nice work with the 16-32. None of the issues I stated cannot be overcome with a little patience,and ingenuity. The machine does have limitations. it's just a matter of looking at your individual need,and determining if this type of machine (Open ended drum sander) will meet your requirements.

If I were to buy another sander it would be a 24", or larger, dual drum sander. I think it would be a better fit for me, and the type of stuff I do. Something along the lines of a Griz' G01066. I'd still keep the 16-32 though.;)

Mark Singer
07-16-2006, 9:17 AM
I have the 24" General....changing paper is a hassle....but it is a great powerful sander

Rod Torgeson
07-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Adam.....I have the Delta X5 18x36 and am very satisfied with it. I have never had a problem with it. I have had it for about 18 months. Even though I don't use it all that often, it is one of those tools that when you have a need for it, it comes in real handy and saves a lot of time. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Dick Bringhurst
07-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I've had the Delta 18/36 now for several years and have had no problems with it. I use it quite a bit. I had an Ryobi prior to the Delta and hated it. It was next to impossible to get the paper on it. Dick B.

Matt Meiser
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I have the Delta and overall I'm happy with it. I did have some trouble with the table operation as Forrest mentioned. I spent two evenings getting it aligned and leveled. It turned out that my main problem was that one of the jack screws had the tension nut overtightend from the factory making it hard to turn. Once I got it adjusted it moves easily and reliably without the skipping problem he mentioned. Had I not been able to adjust it myself, my local Delta dealer offered to pick it up from me, get it working right, and bring it back.

I've seen Mark Singers sander as well and its in a whole different class. If you can swing the price, its a really nice sander.

Reed Wells
07-16-2006, 1:52 PM
[quote=Charlie Plesums] And when I had to replace the feed belt (after a few years), it was expensive enough as is. quote]

Charlie, I just changed the feed belt on my PM 22-44. I had one made by Klingspor Abrasives for less than half the cost of the PM belt. I was also able to change the grit from 120 to 100.

Adam Howard
07-16-2006, 8:32 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice!!

Since I don't usually wait long once I make a decision, I went and bought the 16-32 this afternoon.

Grabbed a brewed beverage (required for assembling new tools), and spent the last three hours setting it up. getting the drum parallel to the bed. Good within 0.007", and I'm afraid if I try to get better, it will just end up worse...

I've already run some pommele sapele, and zebrawood through it. Works like a champ. The best test was some gorgeous curly hickory that chipped out like a SOB on my little planer.

I should have bought one of these YEARS ago!

Tool gloat!

Brad Townsend
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Congratulations Adam. Here is a page you might want to check out that has a couple of modifications.
http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/performax.html
Of course, the one pertaining to the 2 1/2" dust port is meaningless, as yours already comes with a 4". But the mod for the level control is one I have used and think is helpful.