PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Spalted Oak NS w/Burl

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 7:30 PM
7 3/4" X 5" finished with Danish oil and Waxed. I wanted to do something different but didn't figure on this. After I started and saw the figure, I tried to let the wood tell me how to best show it off. I may find I need a hearing aid.:eek: I'm also not so sure a gloss wouldn't show it better. I'll let you decide.:)

Ernie Nyvall
07-15-2006, 8:00 PM
Yep, I don't believe I've seen anything quite like it. You can always spray it with a high gloss and if it's not right, dull it down with some 0000 steel wool. Nice work Chris.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Chris! I agree with Ernie, give it a shot. What is NS by the way. Nice work!

Corey

Barry Stratton
07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
What is NS by the way. Nice work! Corey

I'm guessing NS = Natural Side????

Lots of neat stuff going on in that wood for sure. Good job stepping outside the "box".

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Great job Chris. I think gloss would really make it stand out. Way to think outside the box. Beauty.

John Miliunas
07-16-2006, 1:07 AM
Way to go, Chris! :) Man, that is one gnarly piece 'o wood there! Yup, that form certainly shows all of it off, too! So, did you even bother turning your bench grinder "off" throughout the process? :eek: My guess would be: turn for 4 or 5 minutes, then sharpen tool. Turn for another 4 or 5 minutes and sharpen tool. Repeat process 20 more times! :D Good job! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2006, 1:12 AM
Fine work Chris. I'll bet that piece of wood was a challenge. Ingenious form to capture the full "speech" of that wood. And believe....that piece of wood talks!

Tom Sherman
07-16-2006, 1:26 PM
Fine work Chris. I'll bet that piece of wood was a challenge. Ingenious form to capture the full "speech" of that wood. And believe....that piece of wood talks!

I agree Ken and Chris in regard to the hearing aid, at this time I don't believe it is needed. Awsome work and listening.

Dick Parr
07-16-2006, 4:54 PM
Great job Chris. Is there some burl in that piece around the center?

You turn more nice looking oak then anyone I know.;)

Just re-read the title of the post.....DAH--I guess there is some burl in it.........

Christopher K. Hartley
07-16-2006, 5:16 PM
Great job Chris. Is there some burl in that piece around the center?

You turn more nice looking oak then anyone I know.;)

Just re-read the title of the post.....DAH--I guess there is some burl in it......... It shows on the inside of the bowl and outside on the center band.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-16-2006, 5:37 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Maybe I'll just keep listening...I hear a blank of Oak calling me saying "Turn me to appear thin and delicate.":eek: