PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Switch problem

Warren White
07-15-2006, 7:29 PM
Hi everybody!
I have a 10" Delta cabinet Unisaw (220V) that is equipped with a switch with overload protection. A couple of times recently when I turned the saw on (when it hasn't been running for days), the saw very temporarily hickups and then won't turn on.

The manual suggests letting the motor cool, but it hasn't been running! The blade turns freely, nothing smells at all. Once it "cures" itself (I have disconnected the power, tightened the connections in the switch, flipped the breaker on the wall; all without noting anything out of the ordinary), just as suddenly, it is fine. Never burps after it has been running.

Anybody experience anything similar? I did a cursory search of the archives but didn't see anything.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2006, 7:36 PM
Warren.......... I don't have a schematic for your saw but I suspect there could be a centrifugal switch in the saw motor. Do you hear a "humming" sound when it "hickups"?....If so you might try disconnecting power and locate the centrifugal switch on the motor and try blowing it out with your air compressor. The centrifugal switch puts a starting capacitor in the motor windings when you first turn on the saw. As soon as the motor reaches speed, the centrifugal switch removes the starting capacitor from the circuit. Again, I don't have a schematic for your saw but this is a possibility.

Good luck!

Warren White
07-15-2006, 8:23 PM
Hi Ken,
I don't hear anything....it just burps, the blade bumps just a bit, and then nothing. I will open the cabinet up to make sure, but from the top it is dead silent (after the one burp). I wish I could describe the noise better, but that is all I can think of.

I like the idea of dust though, because it is dusty inside. I will blow it out just to see if that has any effect.

WW