PDA

View Full Version : Saw Bench Question?

harry strasil
07-15-2006, 7:26 PM
Very few questions or comments. Did I do something wrong? Should I continue or is this a lost cause?

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-15-2006, 7:29 PM
I don't have any yet, because I can't start yet (I'm trying to finish another project). So far, what you've done has helped me on the other one though, because I also have to splay the legs for the shaving horse. :)

Larry Gelder
07-15-2006, 7:57 PM
Finished my top today. I used Southern Yellow Pine, since I already had a SYP 2x10. The handsawing was ok. I didn't leave enough waste so the cuts weren't as true as they should have been, which resulted in more end grain planing. GITs - make sure you have a couple of inches of waste on these cuts. The end grain planing was not a problem. Sides were more labor intensive. I'm working outside on a typical SC summer day: 97-degree (in the shade) and super humid. On the first side, I used my marking/cutting gauge to set a depth to plane the 10-degree angle. The line was hard to see, so for the second side, I marked it with a pencil before gauging it. I started planing with a wooden jack set for course shaving to plane off the high corner and establish the angle. Next I went to a wooden joiner, then to a wooden jack set to a finer cut. I did have to use the block plane from time to time to get the bevel true, then go back to the fine jack. Took me about 2 hours total. I did all the work on a Workmutt, which was a PITA. I really need a workbench!

Zahid Naqvi
07-15-2006, 8:12 PM
Harry, you are doing good work here. I would have jumped in but I don't have any use for a saw horse/bench, shop space is overly cramped. I'll wait for your next challenge.

harry strasil
07-15-2006, 8:26 PM
Larry hope you don't take offense, but learn to trust your eye, just start roughing the edge off, take it down aways, keep checking with bevel square, when close switch planes. May be I shouldn't say this but it took me about 10 minutes per side.

If your not used to using a hand saw the saw end will vibrate on the back stroke. Loosen your grip and pretend you are holding two fresh eggs in your hand.

Larry Gelder
07-15-2006, 9:51 PM
No offense taken. I'm here to learn.

I took me 2 hours start to finish (layout, sawing, planing, and cleanup).

The biggest planing challenge for me is holding the work. My workmutt (B&D Workmate) likes to jump around when joining the edges of boards. I should get a couple bags of concete or sand and lay it across the bottom shelf to keep the thing from hopping around.

I'm not proficient with a hand saw, so thanks for the egg tip.

Bob Hallowell
07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Harry,
I will be starting later this week, I have alot going on the next couple days but will squeeze it in. Thanks for helping.

Bob

James Mittlefehldt
07-16-2006, 2:00 AM
I started mine today took me roughly twenty minutes, I need to do one end yet, and verify the angle with the bevel, and tweak as required.

I started useing a 07 jointer, but found my 04 1/4 just the ticket. NO questions so far but don't take my silence as non involvement, keep going Harry.

ps; I used a 2 X 8 bit of construction lumber, spruce I assume.

Tim Leo
07-16-2006, 6:55 AM
I'm following the threads! Keep going!

Bob Hallowell
07-16-2006, 9:06 AM
Harry, I was getting ready to start and measured my oak to find it was only 6 3/4 is that wide enough for this project or do I need something else?

Bob

Terry Beadle
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm following your thread and am enjoying it very much. Thanks! I have a couple of 15 inch saw horses made in a similar manner and I think they will need to come apart and suffer a reake in your techniques. I like your traditional approach and those traditional planes in the back ground on your bench is intriguing. Have you replaced the soles on them or were you lucky and got ones not so worn? Hock blades? The pleasure is in the process and the details. Your photo's are doing the trick.

Thanks again, no questions yet!

Maurice Metzger
07-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Jr, I am sitting this one out, I am visiting relatives on the east coast. Looks interesting though.

Maurice

Jeff Horton
07-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Don't you dare stop! ;)

I can't start mine yet but I will in the next couple of weeks. I am rebuilding a Powermatic planner and finishing another project. Ever since you first posted the photos a couple of months ago(??) I have said I will build two of those for saw horses. Maybe others are like me and not building but following along? Regardless don't stop!

I just committed to buy a couple of router planes just for this project too!

harry strasil
07-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Bob, 6 3/4 is just fine if you are satisfied with it, Most things I make use what I have available. To me knots, nail holes etc add character to the wood and is utilizing good material that most would probably throw away, remember my tool chests are mostly made from salvage material.

Terry the planes are all original, with the original blades. They cut right thru the knots in my bench top easily.

Jeff I don't plan to stop, just seemed that there was lack of interest because of no questions, you will find the router planes a most versatile tool that you will use often.

Alan DuBoff
07-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't you dare stop! ;)

I can't start mine yet but I will in the next couple of weeks. I am rebuilding a Powermatic planner and finishing another project. Ever since you first posted the photos a couple of months ago(??) I have said I will build two of those for saw horses. Maybe others are like me and not building but following along? Regardless don't stop!

I just committed to buy a couple of router planes just for this project too!I guess I'm like you, in the middle of another project right now, and have about 5000 projects going on right now. I do need a saw bench...I have a router plane already though...

Mark Rios
07-16-2006, 5:40 PM
Okay...I'm going to post this here cause.....well, I don't know why. I just didn't think I should post it in the other two threads about the project.

I'm only posting thse to let you know that I'm trying to play by the rules here (I alwys do anyway :D ). Lots of instruction and memories have come back in bits and pieces from my apprenticeship 25+ years ago however I've never cut dovetails nor have I used a router plane. Please keep explaining as you go and I'll keep stumbling along. :D :D :D

Hand saw in the cut and many curly shavings on the ground in the pics below. BTW, I drew a line on one side, the low side, of the board to plane to while planing the edges. Is this okay? Since I'm very new to planing I find that this helps me get the feel of planing long and even strokes. I hope this is alright. Boy is this alot of work. You neander folks must do good in arm wrestling. :D

Here's a question, well...a clarification really....I can't tell for sure from the pics. All of the bevels that we are cutting and planing have the short sides on the top right? IOW, the actual surface dimensions of the top of the board are smaller than the surface of the bottom of the board right? Kind of like a pyramid...all angles wider at the bottom?

Thanks for the instruction and the help. I'm enjoying it.

harry strasil
07-16-2006, 6:13 PM
Glad you are enjoying it Mark, and yup them Armstrong Tools put some muscle on you. LOL

Yes the top is narrower than the bottom, helps when you set on it astride and its the same taper as the legs.

You should have seen me at 17 when I went into the Navy, had been grinding and polishing plow lays for 8 or 9 years 6 to 10 hours aday, I had wrists that were about 14 inches around as the work is all done with your wrists. Never did have big biceps but could still pick up 4 or 500 lbs and walk away with it. lots of difference between now and then. Haven't done much for 6 months because of my back injury, getting caluses on my finger tips from typing tho. Down to about 9 inches around now :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/hmr11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/hmr13a.jpg

Alan DuBoff
07-16-2006, 7:30 PM
Junior,

You're such a tease! ;)

Curious about your forge, will post in another thread as not to hijack this one for the saw bench that I've not started... :eek:

Dwight Beebe
07-22-2006, 1:01 AM
Hi Harry,

Just joined the crowd here tonight. :D Nice to see some familiar names from other great WW communities. Would you be kind enough to point me at the beginning of this project? I'm about to build a workbench, but want a sawbench first.

Regards,

Dwight

harry strasil
07-22-2006, 1:03 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39660 Part 1

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40054 Part 2

Monte Milanuk
07-22-2006, 4:29 PM
Harry,

Keep up the good work! As a newbie I've been following the threads with much interest. I recently moved and am still trying to figure out where everything I had is, where it's gonna go, etc. but I'm hoping to work on your project as time allows.

Again, thanks for your efforts so far and looking forward to more good info!

Thanks,

Monte