PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal Routers

harry strasil
09-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Shop made Neanderthal Routers.

Jack Higgins
09-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Junior --

I really like your Neanderthal Routers! They are beautiful - both the wood and metal work! Congratulations!

Doug Littlejohn
09-23-2003, 4:57 PM
Way cool !!! You make some very nice stuff , er, tools that is.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, BTW, how do they work and what typical uses do you put them to??

harry strasil
09-23-2003, 7:13 PM
Doug they work well just like small planes. I use them to clean up the bottoms of sliding dovetails and dados, look at the inlaid table top on (my toolboxes) on this site and (the wifes sewing box) on traditional tools site.

Scott Quesnelle
09-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Jr. Stasil,

I would love to see some closeups of the mechanism you are using to hol d the blades. I have a neanderthal router most of the way done but am puzzling over that piece. I especially like the bends on the 'nut' you have on the back for tightening the blade holder.

Not sure how to prevent the blade from wanting to rotate. My router bodies are going to be out of beech.

What are your blades made of? O1 drill rod, or some other steel?
Were they just forged to appropriate width on the ends, bent and then heat-treated?

What percentage of your tools have you made yourself?

Scott Quesnelle
Amateur tool maker, and basic wood hacker.

harry strasil
09-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Scott, the holders are just brass with a hole a little bigger than the rod, and they are turned down and threaded for the handmade ramshorn wing nuts. the blade are w-1 drill rod, forged and tempered, I am a full time blacksmith, machinist, welder by trade.

And I make what I can't find, or is to expensive to buy, or I make what I need to do the job. I guess the old woodworkers probably never saw some of the stuff I have, I just get an idea and make it the old way usually.