PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Band Saw Blade Question

Ed Weiser
02-23-2003, 9:54 PM
I have a Laguna LT16SEC band saw and looking for a carbide band saw blade to do mainly resawing. Anyone with this saw and experience with carbide blades? Useful blade for veneer sawing? Tooth selection? Thanks.

David Rose
02-24-2003, 2:55 AM
on a Delta 14" with riser. The blade I'm using is 3 TPI, 1/2"x.025.

I have some Timberwolf blades and was not dissatisfied with them when using them. As this serves as my primary saw I was searching for a better cut. The Pro Master is smoother noticably than the TW, but still not quite smooth on hard woods. I usually only have to plane about 1/32" after resawing.

I can resaw anything that I've tried (hard maple, walnut and cherry) if it will fit. Even before upgrading the old 3/4HP motor I slowly resawed some figured 11" wide maple with this blade. With a 1 & 1/2HP and a faster blade speed, it slices and dices.

David

jerry cousins
03-24-2003, 5:07 PM
hi ed - i'm using the mm16 and got a carbide blade with it - 1".first several months i used timberwolf blades and saved the carbide for those "special" woods. then i thought - how come? so now it stays on the saw for all resawing. the cut is so much smoother and due to the blade depth the tracking is right on.

hope this helps

jerry

Ken Dolph
03-25-2003, 12:01 PM
I have not seen a need for a carbide blade. I resaw Corian from time to time and I like the Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware. It gives a smooth cut, tracks well, and the first one lasted five years. The metal fatigued and it broke far from the weld. I had a newbie dowing some resaw and she pushed too hard.

I hope this helps
Ken