PDA

View Full Version : One gloat becomes two (or three)

Jeremy Gibson
07-15-2006, 6:04 PM
Yesterday I played hooky from work and took LOML to Denver for some shopping. That's a two hour drive so it was a full day's outing. What I got out of it was a visit to the closest Rockler store. I thought I might pick up some clamps or a few things on sale. Well...out on the sidewalk was a few Jet JDP-17MF and Delta 17-965 16 1/2" drill presses on clearance for $349.99 - either one! I had been talking about replacing my $40 HF bench model with something actually usable. My great wife (who hates to come to WW stores with me) told me to get one if I wanted. It was an early birthday gift and I had to promise not to talk about tools until Christmas.

So I came home with the Delta. It's assembled and tucked in its new home but not yet alligned. It sure purrs!!

I said this would become two gloats - read on...

As we pulled into the driveway with the new drill press we say a large Delta box on the front porch. LOML said "what did you do!?" to which I replied "nothing that I know of!" It turns out my mother went to my Amazon wish list and bought me a 12" Delta miter saw (36-322L) for a college graduation gift. I had read a recent review of chop saws in the latest Woodworker's Journal and bookmarked it for a rainy day. This was my reward for 2 years, 3 months of night school and graduating with a 4.0 GPA - Summa Cum Laude (hidden gloat?).

The new miter saw is just sitting on my bench until I find a permanent home. It is replacing a 10" Pro-Tech I got from my wife about 8 years ago. It is very smooth to operate and the twin lasers are very nice.

I feel extremely lucky and blessed, and I think I'll keep both the wife and mother.

Mark Rios
07-15-2006, 6:39 PM
Very, Very cool Jeremy. Give your wife an extra hug or six. Maybe take them out to dinner as well.

WTG!

Chris Barton
07-15-2006, 6:41 PM
I have the same DP and it came with a bonus hollow chisel moritsing attachment and a set of chisels and bits. It has been a great machine for 5 years. You will be pleased with it!

Tom Hamilton
07-15-2006, 6:55 PM
WOW, major congrats in order: super wife, 4.0, super mother and ... one other thing, oh, some new tools.

Enjoy all!

Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2006, 7:00 PM
Like Tom said....Congrats on two wonderful women in your life, the degree and of course, the tools!

Corey Hallagan
07-15-2006, 8:19 PM
Congrats on the graduation, two lucky women and the new equipment!

Corey

Forrest Price
07-15-2006, 8:47 PM
Awesome gloat! That miter saw is my favorite! I WILL have another one someday!! I miss mine sorely!

Good haul, and congrats on graduation too!:D

Frankie Hunt
07-15-2006, 9:28 PM
Great wife, thoughtfull mother, two new nice tools, 4.0 GPA and graduation. Yep, got some gloating going on!

If my old Dewalt 705 ever dies (I hope not) I will replace it with that Delta model.

Bob Childress
07-16-2006, 7:56 AM
Your gloat cup runneth over.:D

Dave Ray
07-16-2006, 1:22 PM
Super gloat Jeremy, congrats on the 4.0 for college..... two great women in your life.... and they buy you tools.... Man, talk about living right. :rolleyes:

Ron Jones near Indy
07-16-2006, 3:38 PM
I repeat what everyone else has said.

Byron Trantham
07-16-2006, 4:04 PM
It just doens't get any better! Congrats!!!!

Mark Singer
07-16-2006, 4:14 PM
I have that drill press also and I really like it! It has great features!

Carl Eyman
07-16-2006, 5:48 PM
Now you've got to make them something with the new tools.

Scott Vigder
07-16-2006, 10:50 PM
:eek: Can't - talk - tools - until - Xmas .............

Jerry Olexa
07-16-2006, 11:43 PM
You are truly blessed...Great wife and mom...a noteworthy degree AND most important, new tools.
Enjoy your life and be thankful:) :)