View Full Version : Moisture Meters?

Ernie Kuhn
09-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Recommendations, small hobby level shop. Mostly round things. Got about a 6' long, ~18" Dia. Cherry tree trunk with crotch. Took three of us to get it off the truck. Have a chain saw and will cut some turning stock blanks, maybe for a couple of platters. Will seal the ends with something so it doesn't dry too quick or, turn it green and freeze it or something. Sorry for the long way to get to the question. Which moisture meter is the preference? I also make a run a couple of times a year to a supplier that specializes in all types of maple, some of it instrument grade and want to be able to check moisture content before I bring more wood home. Delmhorst, Lignomat, Wagner, etc.? Help.
Thank all of you in advance.
Ernie

Todd Burch
09-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I have the Ligno L609. It's been adequate for my needs, and it's pinless. I use it all the time.

Ernie Kuhn
09-22-2003, 11:59 PM
I have the Ligno L609. It's been adequate for my needs, and it's pinless. I use it all the time.

Todd,
Thank you. I appreciate the recommendation. I didn't want to bias anyone's response but the L609 was at the top of my list because it is pinless. Now I'll have to sit back and watch the on-line auction place for a bit and see if one turns up < $149.00. Maybe for Christmas.
Again, appreciate your response.
Ernie

Jim Becker
09-23-2003, 9:33 AM
I've been using a Wagner pinless for a few years with no problems. But if I were buying today, I'd probably opt for the Mini Ligno. For the price, it's an excellent tool and a better choice for rough lumber since it does use pins. I may buy one anyway and use it for my rough stuff and use the Wagner for things that I don't want to harm the surface of the wood.

Ken Salisbury
09-23-2003, 9:59 AM
But if I were buying today, I'd probably opt for the Mini Ligno. For the price, it's an excellent tool and a better choice for rough lumber since it does use pins. I may buy one anyway and use it for my rough stuff and use the Wagner for things that I don't want to harm the surface of the wood.

I have the Mini Ligno and love it ! !

Ernie Kuhn
09-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Todd, Jim, Ken,
Thank you all for your recommendations. I hadn't thought about what I would be using it for mostly until Jim mentioned rough stock. As it is, I buy un-surfaced rough stock since I have a Woodmaster thickness planer and some of the plans I intend to build to call for odd thicknesses not readily available at the local lumber store or big box. Sooo.....I guess I'm leaning towards the Mini Ligno.
Gentlemen, thank you so much for your help.
Ernie