PDA

View Full Version : Paper Weight

Glenn Hodges
07-15-2006, 12:24 PM
This paper weight has the FSU theme with the Seminole and arrowheads. The wood is wild plum which is 4.75 inches wide and l.25 inches high. I used lacquer as a finish, and then buffed. Your critiques are appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Very nice Glenn! I'm sure a Seminole fan or alumni will love it!

Keith Burns
07-15-2006, 1:11 PM
Glenn, that is Way Cool !!!:) :) :)

Ernie Nyvall
07-15-2006, 1:21 PM
I think it looks real good Glenn. I can see that being done with family pictures as well.

Ernie

Tom Sherman
07-15-2006, 2:56 PM
Cool idea Glenn, I'll bet John would like one of those with a Packer theme.

Gary Herrmann
07-15-2006, 3:13 PM
Nicely done, Glenn. Personally I think it would look better with a Gators theme...;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2006, 3:55 PM
Glenn that is awesome. That is just way to kewl. Nice work.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-15-2006, 4:25 PM
Beautiful, Glenn. I would think that items like that would be lucrative in gift shops!

Corey Hallagan
07-15-2006, 4:53 PM
I love these Glen! Nice work.

Corey

Mark Cothren
07-15-2006, 5:54 PM
Very neat work, Glenn! Somebody will love that!

Travis Stinson
07-15-2006, 7:29 PM
That's too cool Glenn. How about a tutorial?

Michael Stafford
07-15-2006, 7:48 PM
Very creative, Glenn. I think this has a great market potential!;)

Barry Stratton
07-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Great idea! I really like the look and concept. You've got yet another winner on your hands.

Glenn Hodges
07-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks Travis, I turn this between centers and leave a tennon to attach it to a chuck. Then I finish turning it to the desired shape. I drilled an inch hole about .5 inch deep in the center, and 5 additional holes 1.25 inches in diameter .5 inches deep evenly spaced according to the positions as seen in the picture. I mix up enough casting epoxy with opaque color, I used white as you can see, to cover the bottom of one of the holes in which I will place one of the arrowheads. You must tilt the piece so it will be level as it drys. This is repeated until the bottom of each hole is covered with this colored epoxy. I used arrowheads because of the Seminole Indian relationship with FSU. I place one arrowhead in a hole, mix up a small amount of casting epoxy for that hole, pore it in until it is level with the top of the hole in the wood, making sure it is also level as it dries. This is repeated until each hole is filled with whatever and epoxy. The center hole was drilled to one inch because this is the diameter of the charm of the FSU Seminole. I then pore clear epoxy over the charm and let it cure. After all of the epoxy is cured I spray the epoxy with a spray which will make the top of the epoxy cure fast and not be sticky when I start to sand. When all the epoxy is cured I sand, but sometimes I must take a skew to level the holes where the epoxy did not fill the holes level, and then sand. After sanding to about 600 grit, I then buff, spray with lacquer, let it cure and then buff the lacquer again. Yep this process is time consuming, but I have not figured out another way to do it. If you made the top flat you would not have to worry about the epoxy in the holes drying at an angle. If you like this method I am sure you will be able to apply it to other ways to enhance your turnings. Let me know if I may be more helpful.