PDA

View Full Version : Filter Plenum Help

Russ Massery
07-15-2006, 8:11 AM
I need to build a filter plenum for my cyclone filters. I don't have the ceiling height to stack the filters. Any rules of "engagement" in building this (i.e.) size,shape,inlet placement. I plan to go into the box with a 7" hose. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Doug Shepard
07-15-2006, 8:23 AM
There's a guy with a side-by-side filter setup on ClearVue's gallery that might help.
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone?page=1

Russ Massery
07-15-2006, 9:11 AM
Thanks Doug, But I'm looking for specific size etc. My cyclone happens to be a Clearvue. I've looked at those page alot over the last few months. Did you get yours installed?

Mike Weaver
07-15-2006, 9:56 AM
Russ,

Build a box big enough to attach your filters and call it a day.:)

I'm sure you could go crazy calculating things, but I wouldn't.

If you *really* want to get crazy, you'd need a plenum with an inlet in the middle with a cross-sectional area a little larger than the area in a 7" circle to keep the air flow the same.

Then you'd add deflectors in the box where the inlet is in a /\ shape to divert the incoming air and minimize back pressure as a result of the air hitting a "wall."

Anyway, don't sweat it is my opinion. :D

Hope that helps,
-Mike

Ken Garlock
07-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Russ, take a look at my post showing my cyclone filter box (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14420).

It is a reverse flow filter where the dirty air enters the filter material from the outside of the filter and exits down through the center, out the bottom and across the shop floor. I just guessed a solution with the general parameters of keeping the actual filter cartridges at least one diameter from each other and from any enclosure walls. The filter cartridges are from Wynn filter in Pennsylvania.

Doug Shepard
07-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks Doug, But I'm looking for specific size etc. My cyclone happens to be a Clearvue. I've looked at those page alot over the last few months. Did you get yours installed?

I was ready to buy until Ed at CV mentioned another model he had in development that might work better for me. I promised not to reveal any details but he has a unit out to one of the WW mags for independent testing. His non-scientific testing says he'll probably offer this model but until he gets the test results he won't know for sure.

David Less
07-17-2006, 6:18 AM
Russ,

Take a look at the picture page on the ClearVue sight, "Louie's Custom Built Cyclone". I made a box (plentum) and mounted 2 cartidge filters on top of it. I have a height constraint in my shop. I've been using it for about 6 months and love it.

Thought I'd give you some ideas,

David

Bill Pentz
07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I need to build a filter plenum for my cyclone filters. I don't have the ceiling height to stack the filters. Any rules of "engagement" in building this (i.e.) size,shape,inlet placement. I plan to go into the box with a 7" hose. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Russ,

The short answer is to build a filter box you need to ensure no airflow directly hits any filter material and provide clearance around the filter material of roughly the filter diameter divided by four. That’s about 3” for most cyclone filters.

With that all said, is this a good way to go? For most I think not.

1. We should be directing our airflow from our cyclones outside most of the time leaving us using the filters only when forced to do so by either local laws, very hot temperatures in air conditioned shops, or extreme cold where a radiant heater cannot keep up with the loss of air.

2. With most filters now equally coated and effective when you blow from either the inside or outside, you can build your filter setup either way. It is easiest to either stack the filters or put them side by side on a cleanout box below and blow the air into the center of the filters. Side by side requires a wye feeding the filters. Building to flow the air from the outside to the middle takes a sealed filter box. A filter box makes deep cleaning of the filters easier and reduces noise, but at a cost of making normal cleaning harder and having to build a filter box.

bill

David Less
07-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Here are some photos of my plentum and dust unit. Although I have no data to support my design, I am quite happy with the performance. I have not yet had to clean out the plentum box and there seems to be very little dust inside.

I stood a penny on edge on top of the filter cartridge while turning the system on and off and to my surprise, the penny did not fall over (no glue used). I guess mounting every thing in rubber paid off, not that it will make for an increase in CFM but justs makes me feel good about my design/engineering.

Please feel free to use any of my ideas.

David

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/albums/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone/DSC01369.sized.jpg

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/albums/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone/DSC01275.sized.jpg

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/albums/Custom-Built-Godzilla-Cyclone/DSC01284.sized.jpg

tod evans
07-17-2006, 2:06 PM
david, that`s one of the slickest d/c installs i`ve seen! .02 tod

Bill Pentz
07-17-2006, 8:09 PM
david, that`s one of the slickest d/c installs i`ve seen! .02 tod

David,

Ditto what Tod said. Well done.

bill