PDA

View Full Version : No. 1 Plane?

Mark Rios
07-15-2006, 3:43 AM
Would you plane folks be kind enough to explain why the No. 1 plane is "the most sought after of all bench planes"?

Why is, or isn't, this plane good/handy to use?

Thank you very much.

Mike Wenzloff
07-15-2006, 3:58 AM
Hi Mark.

The #1 is only sought after in that sense by collectors. Not many made in comparision to the larger planes. This somewhat applies to early #2s as well. Less so with #3s and so forth. A nice #1 in exceleent condition can bring as much as $1800 to $2000, though I think the prices are a little depressed right now.

The plane is small, about the size of a block plane. Only it isn't as easy to use as a block plane. I have relatively small hands and I can barely squeeze two fingers around the tote.

Read up on Patrick's Blood & Gore on Stanley planes:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

The numbering sequence is below the entertaining read.

Take care, Mike

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-15-2006, 4:15 AM
BTW, if you covet a #1 for its features and don't want the price tag, the Lie-Nielsen version is less pricey at $195 (http://lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=1). I don't see a need for a #1, but I'd really like to get my hands on one of their limited (and sold out) #1-1/2s.

Bob Marino
07-15-2006, 9:53 AM
Mark,

I agree with Mike. I bought a LN 1 (limited edition) a few years back and wondered why anyone would use such a plane - way too small in the hand. And then I wondered why the heck I didn't return it!

Bob

Ian Smith
07-15-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't see a need for a #1, but I'd really like to get my hands on one of their limited (and sold out) #1-1/2s.
Deirdre,

Fine Tool Journal still lists the No. 1-1/2 as being for sale. Is this a case of a website hopelessly out of date (i.e. they've sold out and forgotten to update their website) or have they really managed to squirrel away a few 1-1/2's such that they still have some for sale?

http://www.finetoolj.com/LN/ln2004.html

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-15-2006, 1:12 PM
That's where I'd seen it. I don't know, I suspect a lot of people weren't interested in it because of it's small size, but it's way bigger than a typical #1.

Doug Shepard
07-15-2006, 2:17 PM
Mark,

I agree with Mike. I bought a LN 1 (limited edition) a few years back and wondered why anyone would use such a plane - way too small in the hand. And then I wondered why the heck I didn't return it!

Bob

You too?? Mine isn't a limited edition though. The only reason I keep it around is, it gives the elves a tool they can work with on the night shift.:D

Mike Henderson
07-15-2006, 3:10 PM
The #1 is way too small to put you hand on the tote - maybe a couple of fingers but that's all. It's not much bigger than a block plane.

I wonder why Stanley made them for so many years - what did people buy them for? How did they use them?

Our class bought a LN #1 for our instructor when he and his wife had a baby - had it engraved with the baby's name and DOB - but I expect that plane will just sit on a shelf.

Anybody know what the #1 was originally used for? Or was it just a salesman's sample?

Mike

Alan DuBoff
07-15-2006, 3:39 PM
Anybody know what the #1 was originally used for? Or was it just a salesman's sample?Maybe Stanley knew that people would be hording tools by the truckloads and figured it would be another for them to pay a premium for and not use, like many of the other tools these folks would collect! ;)

Michael Gibbons
07-15-2006, 5:08 PM
It is my understanding that the #1 stanley plane was carried by salesmen from Stanley tools for demonstration purposes. ( I read that someplace..just can't remember where). And as others have said it's too small to be of any practical use.

Mike

Alan DuBoff
07-15-2006, 5:28 PM
And as others have said it's too small to be of any practical use.That's absolutely a false statement. The No 1 is very usable, and in fact can be more usable depending on the situation. If you had a No 1 and a No 8 only, and needed to plane a small confined area which wouldn't allow for a No 8, the No 1 would do a stellar job.

The only reason the sales people would have carried a No 1 rather than a No 8 should be obvious, and if you were carrying one around to show people, you would have most likely picked a No 1 also. However, this shouldn't change the fact that the No 1 was every bit as much of a tool as any other plane, IMO.

Guaranteed, there are people that do like and prefer to use a No 1, if for nothing else but nostalgic reasons. Most folks prefer to use a block plane, for the same work, but that doesn't mean all. All of our milage varies of course.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-15-2006, 5:39 PM
As someone with small (but wide) hands, I think I could probably use a #1 just fine. Probably not for super-extended periods, but I have no problem with a #3, for example, and I didn't find holding a #2 uncomfortable, either.

John Kain
07-16-2006, 1:08 AM
I thought the #1 was used for fine sculpting of 19th century viola/violin making in the attempt to create correct sound character.

I'm probably wrong. Maybe just an internet rumor.......

Mark Rios
07-16-2006, 2:06 AM
Mark,

Bob

Hey Bob......maybe we need to make a deal..??..??;)

At my router class today, the instructor actually had a LN No. 1. It was in white bronze and it felt very, very sexy and exciting. He had won it at some sort of a WWing conference as a door prize.

mmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm LN white bronze (drool, drool, drool)

:D

Clinton Findlay
07-16-2006, 2:27 AM
Paperweight? :D

Corvin Alstot
07-16-2006, 3:21 PM
At my router class today, the instructor actually had a LN No. 1. It was in white bronze and it felt very, very sexy and exciting.
mmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm LN white bronze (drool, drool, drool)
Fine Tool Journal has some limited edition LN planes if you are looking for white bronze or a collectable. The original Stanley #1 have more value as a collectible rather than a tool to use. Its tough to use for extended periods as it is just to small. I would think a 602 or a 102 special would be a better choice.