PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat...Almost?

John Miliunas
09-22-2003, 9:52 PM
I say "almost", because I don't have it in-hand yet, but there's one with my name on it heading to the Woodcraft store in Madison. So, what is "it"? The new Dewalt 2-speed planer, that's what! Our Woodcraft is having their annual tool show this coming weekend and everything Jet, Dewalt, PC & Delta are 15% off. I stopped in and asked if that includes the new planer. "Yup"! But, the only one they have in the store right now is already sold. They're supposed to be getting four more in sometime this week and a whole bunch more the next. So, then being the forward kind of guy I am, I asked if my good "buddies" over there would consider my pre-paying for one at the show price. "No problemo!" Cool! $408.00 + the governor's share. Receipt is in my pocket!!! :cool:

Doug Jones
09-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Good find John, Just as you were probably typing this posting, I was looking at the same planer on the below link.

http://www.ai-supply.com/search/ShowItem.asp?ItemCode=DEL+22%2D580

John Miliunas
09-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Good find John, Just as you were probably typing this posting, I was looking at the same planer on the below link.

http://www.ai-supply.com/search/ShowItem.asp?ItemCode=DEL+22%2D580

Doug, the Delta "was" going to be my next planer, but thanks to a couple of the good folks here at SMC, they gave me a "heads up" on the new Dewalt, which wasn't available yet. The added features and reviews I've seen on it, won me over. BUT, the Delta is certainly no slouch, by its own right! I don't believe I've ever seen a bad review on it, either! And that's a pretty good price, from what I've seen around. I could be out in left field on this, but with the new Dewalt out there, we may see even more competative pricing on the Delta. Don't know for sure, just a hunch. :cool:

Ted Shrader
09-23-2003, 12:48 PM
John -

You will be able to throw that planer right in the back of the new pickup and not even worry about it getting wet on the way home!

Congrats,
Ted

John Miliunas
09-23-2003, 2:33 PM
John -

You will be able to throw that planer right in the back of the new pickup and not even worry about it getting wet on the way home!

Congrats,
Ted

Thanks, Ted. Hopefully, with a little luck, I'll be able to do that, but instead of taking it "home", I'll be able to take it straight to the "new" shop! :D Depends on when it comes in, I guess. :cool:

Jim Becker
09-23-2003, 3:31 PM
The new Dewalt 2-speed planer, that's what! ... $408.00 + the governor's share. Receipt is in my pocket!!!

One thing I'll be curious to learn once you put it through it's paces is if you feel you need the optional infeed and outfeed tables in addition to the bed that's permanently on the tool. Do let us know how it performs!

John Miliunas
09-23-2003, 3:45 PM
One thing I'll be curious to learn once you put it through it's paces is if you feel you need the optional infeed and outfeed tables in addition to the bed that's permanently on the tool. Do let us know how it performs!

You and me both, Jim! From what I've read/heard, the in/out tables are NOT a heavy requirement, though if I'm running long stuff through, I still use roller stands, even on my present Ryobi, which does have the in/out feed tables. ('Course, they're nothing much to speak of!) I'll try to find a slot of time to test it out, depending on where we are with the move. I'll keep you posted. :cool:

Bart Leetch
09-23-2003, 4:04 PM
John

Your having to much FUN . There is a tax on to much fun, in your case its the fun of moving.

John Miliunas
09-23-2003, 6:41 PM
John

Your having to much FUN . There is a tax on to much fun, in your case its the fun of moving.

Yeah, it is kinda' fun, but you said a *WHOLE* mouthful on the move itself being taxing! I'm naturally not a lazy person, but if I had the $$$, I'd hire movers to do what they do best! Don't think that's gonna' happen, though. We'll get through it somehow and once done, I can really start having some FUN! :cool:

Jim Becker
09-23-2003, 9:43 PM
Yeah, it is kinda' fun, but you said a *WHOLE* mouthful on the move itself being taxing! I'm naturally not a lazy person, but if I had the $$$, I'd hire movers to do what they do best! Don't think that's gonna' happen, though. We'll get through it somehow and once done, I can really start having some FUN! :cool:

Since I believe you are doing a local move, you may want to get quotes from movers anyway...by the time you rent a vehicle and all the stuff you need and find enough people to show up and help (actually show up, not just promise to help), that mover quote might look mighty attractive. The last time I moved my self was way back in the mid-1980s...and it was pure hell. And then things started going down hill. :o

Ted Shrader
09-24-2003, 2:46 PM
Thanks, Ted. Hopefully, with a little luck, I'll be able to do that, but instead of taking it "home", I'll be able to take it straight to the "new" shop! :D Depends on when it comes in, I guess. :cool:

John -

I gotta throw a flag on that one. Too many gloats in motion at once. Each gloat must be down and set prior to the play! :D

Way too much going on here. Good luck!

Ted

John Miliunas
09-24-2003, 9:47 PM
Since I believe you are doing a local move, you may want to get quotes from movers anyway...by the time you rent a vehicle and all the stuff you need and find enough people to show up and help (actually show up, not just promise to help), that mover quote might look mighty attractive. The last time I moved my self was way back in the mid-1980s...and it was pure hell. And then things started going down hill. :o

Ah, Jim. That sounds all too good, but I just don't think that's in the cards, at this point. We do, however, have quite a bit of help lined up and I'm pretty sure we can count on all of them. "Payback", if you will. I've always said, "What goes around...." You know the rest. But yeah, it's still a royal PITA! Actually, I wish I was fortunate enough to have Hell as my starting point! You need to remember that this move is after 23+ years of marriage and house with 3K+ sq/ft room (not to mention the 40x80 machine shed!). We're going into barely 2K sq/ft and a small 12x16 storage shed out back! AND, LOML just flat out refuses to get rid of some "precious items", which are quite bulky. Never mind that they haven't been used/touched in the last 8+ years.... :rolleyes: Aw heck, one way or the other, we'll make it. Always do. :cool:

John Miliunas
09-24-2003, 9:49 PM
John -

I gotta throw a flag on that one. Too many gloats in motion at once. Each gloat must be down and set prior to the play! :D

Way too much going on here. Good luck!

Ted

Oooops. Sorry. Guess I'd better not mention anything about the Artisan Wood Gallery in town who's started taking my work on consignment then. :rolleyes: That would probably draw a "technical" on top of the yards I already lost! :D :cool:

Tom Sweeney
09-24-2003, 10:19 PM
OK #42 for unsportsman like gloating.
You will be penalized a 15 day penalty during which you may have no contact with your new planer, from the time it enters your posession! :p

John Miliunas
09-24-2003, 10:47 PM
OK #42 for unsportsman like gloating.
You will be penalized a 15 day penalty during which you may have no contact with your new planer, from the time it enters your posession! :p

Hey! That's not even in the rule book! I demand the ref does a review of this one! That's cruel and inhuman punishment! Hmmmmph! I think I'll just take my ball and go home. "Mommy..... The neighborhood kids are picking on me.....!" :D :cool:

Byron Trantham
09-25-2003, 9:25 AM
How much is Woodcraft normally selling the planer? I looked it up on amazon and about choked - $470. I currently have the Delta 12 1/2" and have been using it for several years. Still running great BUT I just can't resist the DeWalt. It truly does have several features that I think are important - speed changes being the least significant. I like the bigger table and will probably buy the extenders when I do buy the thing. Looks like one turn of the crank is 1/32". True?

Congratulations and as far as I am concerned you have a great GLOAT!

John Miliunas
09-25-2003, 9:39 AM
How much is Woodcraft normally selling the planer? I looked it up on amazon and about choked - $470. I currently have the Delta 12 1/2" and have been using it for several years. Still running great BUT I just can't resist the DeWalt. It truly does have several features that I think are important - speed changes being the least significant. I like the bigger table and will probably buy the extenders when I do buy the thing. Looks like one turn of the crank is 1/32". True?

Congratulations and as far as I am concerned you have a great GLOAT!

Byron, Woodcraft's "normal" price for it is $479.00. I think Lowe's has it right now at $449.00. I'm not sure about the height adjustment, but I think you may be correct. I plan on putting the thing through its paces once I get my grubby paws on it and will report. Yeah, I think it's one helluva' gloat! I've been struggling with my old Ryobi for too many years and, as much as I'd love to have one of the big monster machines, I just can't justify it at this point. I think the Dewalt is a good value and, if it performs as well as the initial reports are, I should be quite happy with it. I'll keep you guys posted. :cool: