PDA

View Full Version : Playing With Pine

Christopher K. Hartley
07-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Bowl? Dish? Oh well just playing around with some southern pine and came up with a 7 1/4" X 2" Deft and waxed.:)

Corey Hallagan
07-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Very nice Chris. I l really like that Very tough to find good old strong Southern Yellow Pine. Was it really sappy?

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Very nice Chris. I l really like that Very tough to find good old strong Southern Yellow Pine. Was it really sappy?

Corey This was a tree that died in my yard due to beetles. Before I could cut it down the sap drained from the entire tree and spilled on the ground. Turning it was a pleasure because there was no sap. I currently have about 60 ft of logs from about 20 inches or so down to about 8 inches. This was where the tree came down: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34584

Corey Hallagan
07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Excellent Chris. Looking forward to seeing more.

Corey

George Conklin
07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
That's nice, Chris. I didn't know pine could look so good! Sounds like you have enough to keep you going for a long time to come.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Very nice Chris! I like the grain pattern in that wood.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Chris that is a mighty fine looking bowl. I love the grain and finish. Nice job.

Barry Stratton
07-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Great job Christopher! I like that wild grain and your finish (and shape) are great.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
You know Chris.....after seeing this bowl....I glad I got the studs in the walls of my new shop covered with plywood.....I'd just be seeing bowl possibilities other wise.:o

Ernie Nyvall
07-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, you've made me think about pine in a whole new light. Nice bowl Chris.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-15-2006, 3:25 AM
Lovely, Chris. Did you have much difficulty with tear-out?

Tom Sherman
07-15-2006, 3:30 AM
Chris that's the best lookin pine I've seen in a long time. Wonderful work and shape oh and the finish is great too.

Tom Hintz
07-15-2006, 4:00 AM
Nice job, Chris!
When I started turning I got a lot of static about "playing with pine" so much while learning but found it to be a great teacher. I know of no other wood that "shows" when you have the bevel rubbing, or when you don't so quickly. And, as you have discovered, pine can be a good looking wood when you hit a nice gain pattern.
Have fun with your tree! We had an ice storm a few years ago the ruined a 60-some foot red oak on my lot and I wound up turning the whole thing as part of my learning process.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 8:07 AM
Lovely, Chris. Did you have much difficulty with tear-out?Henry, not really just a small amount on the end grain but so small it was easily dealt with.

George Conklin
07-15-2006, 11:13 AM
You know Chris.....after seeing this bowl....I glad I got the studs in the walls of my new shop covered with plywood.....I'd just be seeing bowl possibilities other wise.:o

Makes me think of the "You know you're a turner when,,," thread.

Maybe you should have used metal studs, Ken.;)

Jerry Olexa
07-15-2006, 1:14 PM
I'm a poor judge but nice work AND good looking grain, etc

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 5:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I now in the process of turning a 13 incher end grain. We'll see how it turns out. By the way who can tell me what the dark streaks are called? They range in color from dark green to black.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 5:33 PM
Well, you've made me think about pine in a whole new light. Nice bowl Chris.

Ernie Good, cause I still have this Big Pine log with your name on it! and some meduim ones with branch crotches in them.:D

Ernie Nyvall
07-15-2006, 6:59 PM
Good, cause I still have this Big Pine log with your name on it! and some meduim ones with branch crotches in them.:D

Thanks Chris, but I have a 60 footer standing dead in the yard that I need to take down. Right now it stores pretty good standing up.:D

By the way, the streaks are spalting. It happens a little different in pine than in hardwoods. If you'll look at some of Sasha Gast's work, he's got quite a few spalted pine pieces. His are pretty far along in the spalting though.

Ernie