PDA

View Full Version : Freud opinions

larry merlau
07-14-2006, 10:24 PM
has anyone tried out the new Freud 1.375 and 1.75 door set of router bits.. (inteior or exterior door making set)? and if so what's your take on them? will a 3hp hitachi router table handle them? or should i go for shaper bits instead.? thanks for the advice.

Frank Chaffee
07-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Larry, my dear friend,
I cannot definitively answer your question regarding those bits of Freud, but my research has led me to conclude that the so claimed “Freudian Slip”, is actually the result of Freud’s student Carl Gustav Jung’s work.

Right now I am busily engaged trying to determine whether the “Tyler Thong” can be attributed to the rascally Mr. Howell, or if it should be blamed on another and even more notorious Creeker, a certain Steve Clardy.

Please Larry, when you have gathered and sorted out the opinions and experiences of Creekers regarding these bits of Freud, PM me, as I have that same router and just last night dreamt of doors.

Thanks,
Frank

larry merlau
07-17-2006, 7:28 AM
i quess i must have upset the creek in some way, havnt got any answers. maybe it was becasue untill just recently i hadnt had the subheading showing about being a contributor this year but in actuallality i have been for the last two years so i am not a free loader. as you well know! when and if i find some expereinced answers i will definatly let you know frank..are you coming over with karl this fall? would love to have you show up.

Steve Clardy
07-17-2006, 7:53 AM
Larry, my dear friend,
I cannot definitively answer your question regarding those bits of Freud, but my research has led me to conclude that the so claimed “Freudian Slip”, is actually the result of Freud’s student Carl Gustav Jung’s work.

Right now I am busily engaged trying to determine whether the “Tyler Thong” can be attributed to the rascally Mr. Howell, or if it should be blamed on another and even more notorious Creeker, a certain Steve Clardy.

Please Larry, when you have gathered and sorted out the opinions and experiences of Creekers regarding these bits of Freud, PM me, as I have that same router and just last night dreamt of doors.

Thanks,
Frank

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Trouble headed my way AGAIN:confused: :confused:
Frank. Keep whomever thats looking fer me busy fer a while will ya?
I'm on DSN at the moment, avoiding the galactic police.:o :(

Larry. I'll GET BACK WITH YA.:)

Tom Jones III
07-17-2006, 8:58 AM
I've never used those bits, but I've used the Freud 3" diameter bits with back cutter and my 3 HP router handles them with ease in walnut. Before I got my 3 HP I made some test cuts with my 1.5 HP and it could handle it fine as long as you took it slow.

Mike Alagna
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a raised panel door / stile and rail bit set, not sure what the number is. The raised panel bit is the 4 wing with back cutter and I absolutely love it. I have had others and this is the tops. The 4 wing cutter leaves a crisp clean cut and the matches stile / rail bits are great. I use a lot of Freud bits and blades and they have always done a great job.

larry merlau
07-17-2006, 11:23 AM
that is what this set is designed for the link for them is
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/router_bits/Router_Bit_Sets/entrydoor/index.html
i have a possible job coming up that i could use either these or a shaper set for, but i would need to borrow a shaper and i have the router table setup to handle it if it would do the job.

Charles McCracken
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Larry,

Your 3HP router should definitely handle the 99-267 door bits. One key advantage of these is that they make extended tenons. To accomplish this with a shaper often requires special cutters and spindles to allow the tenon to pass over the cope cutter.

Mike Alagna
07-17-2006, 2:32 PM
Your 3hp router will definately do the job.

christopher miller
07-17-2006, 9:19 PM
Larry : Check to see that the profile depth is the same compareing the router bits and the shaper cutters . I done all my interior doors with Bosch cutters . The first set would not match ,but they exchanged them ,no problem. I used red oak and done it on a Delta 1-1/2 hp shaper. It did ok but would rather have a 2hp.
A stock feeder is a necessity IMHO It dosen.t just feed it holds the stock tight to the fence. Chris

Jim Andrew
07-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi Larry, don't think anyone has tried building their own doors on this site,
kind of a new thing, buying cutters for the job. Wondered how would you
go about building the doors, as the old door builders put mortise and tennons in the corners, and these are just like cabinet doors. Would you
put lags in the edges, or what? Kind of interested, thinking about building
a new house and would like to build my own doors. Jim

larry merlau
07-20-2006, 7:35 AM
as for the building of doors goes i havnt done it jim, but from what i have seen on this bit set it has tenons incorporated into the plan. which along with some good glue should work. there are others out there who hav done and are beter qualified at answering your question.. mark singer, comes to mind he made his own doors for one of his homes and probally others as well

Charles McCracken
07-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Jim,

Larry is correct that the Freud 99-267 bits will make long tenons for the joints. The cope bit is made in two parts so you can make stub tenons (like for cabinet doors - these are good for middle stiles and rails) or you can remove the top of the bit and have a pass-over bit to make tenons of any length you like for the load bearing joints. An instructional DVD video and poster are included with the bits but there is also a condensed version of the instructions available for download here:
http://www.justfreud.com/2pc_entryDoor_bitInstructions.pdf