PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot

Bob Reda
07-14-2006, 7:57 PM
I got the Shopbot in the woodshop today. Now what?:p Theres a lot of manual to read!

Bob

Guy Hilliard
07-14-2006, 8:34 PM
You had a Mechano set as a kid. Now you have a bigger one. More fun too.

Guy

Keith Outten
07-14-2006, 9:18 PM
Bob,

I suggest that you find a machinist's level, your gonna need it. Then set the manual on a flat spot close by and start the assembly process. Take your time when installing the shims, the accuracy of your machine depends entirely on the amount of time you spend getting everything setup properly.

Don't discount the quality of the hose you select for your dust collection. A hose that is too stiff will induce drag on the carriage, a kind of twist that will make it impossible for you to machine a perfect square and inlay work will be impossible. Don't get a hose that is an accordian style either, these are flexible but tend to contract when the DC is running and the length shortens as the carriage moves closer to the connection point. Again this kind of hose tend to induce a twist as the carriage changes direction.

Start looking for good vector art :)

Welcome to the ShopBot familly!

Brett Halle
07-15-2006, 1:33 AM
Bob,

What configuration of ShopBot did you get? What kinds of projects are you planning on doing? Cabinets? Signs?

I have to echo Keith's comments, spend the time and get things level and square. It's the only way you are going to get consistent results.

Also, you might want to look into Vetric's products (VCarve in particular) -- http://www.vetric.com ... their v-carving software is very cool.

Welcome to the ShopBot community. If you haven't hooked into the ShopBot forum http://www.talkshopbot.com you should ... yet another good resource (in addition to SMC, of course).

--Brett,
Happy ShopBot owner (PRTAlpha96 w/ATC, Airdrill, etc.)

Bob Reda
07-15-2006, 8:10 AM
Thanks guys,

I picked up a used prt48 with twin z's along with alot of other goodies. Like a probe, some vacuum hold downs, and others. I was not planning on bringinig it home yesterday but it got here! My first order of business is to arrange the shop so I can get it to where I want it. Then go through all the aligning and squaring process, (even though we moved it in all one piece, I'm sure the 3 hr ride made it bounce once or twice) After that I'll be able to sit down and think on waht I want to do with it, I have a lot of ideas, I have a gentleman I met through this forum who lives very close who lost his shopbot a couple of years ago in a flood who is spending more time with me and instructiong me on the bot. I'ts like it was meant to happen!! I'll keep you guys informed on the progress.

Bob

Ed Lang
07-15-2006, 1:39 PM
Welcome for the family. PRT Alpha96 for me.

I second V-carve Pro software. I use it for most all of my work. I have used Corel X3 for some design work and exported into either Part Wizard or V-carve PRO.

Mega Clipart collection is the best!

I also bought some 3D graphics and they too cut good on boxes, doors or signs.

Be sure to show us pictures and let us know what you are making.

Ed

David Harvey
07-16-2006, 7:06 AM
Bob, Congratulations on the new aquisition! Let us know how it goes. I pick my PRT48 up from the factory next Friday and should have the building it's going into competed today.

Good luck!

Dave