PDA

View Full Version : The life and times of a beginner-for fun

Reed Wells
07-14-2006, 7:24 PM
My 13 year old daughter is working in the shop with me for the summer school break. ( Try it guys, great bonding! ) So while measuring some 8/4 stock for rough cutting, she informed me that the tape measure was broke, so without looking at it I gave her a different one. Five minutes later she tells me that one is also broke. Hmmmm. The way she explained it "the little tippy thing that hooks the board is moving a little bit and won't let her get an accurate measurement." Of course the little tippy thing she was talking about was the tang. Flashback, 1967. A seventeen year old carpenters helper decided to fix his own tape measure, "broke the same way", by taking a nail set and peening the brads holding the tang. Now wait, it gets better. Feeling proud that he could fix broken tapes he decides the bosses tape needed a little repair. OK, now you can laugh. With my daughter I used the very same explanation that was given me some fourty one years ago, why that little bit of play at the end of your Stanley is there. I hope I used the same patience and understanding that was shown to her father. Reed

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2006, 8:19 PM
Great story, Reed. Thanks for posting it.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
07-14-2006, 8:38 PM
Well dang it, Reed...All of my tapes appear to be broken, as well! :eek: And what's up with all the "odd" demarcations on them? :confused: All looks cool..."8,9,10,11,.." and then there's this "1F"!!! A while later, there's a "16" in RED of all colors! Then another "2F" and another RED one on the number 32 and so on. :o Sheeesh...Talk about confusing! And they don't even come with instructions! ('Course, what would any true blue-blooded American guy do with instructions, anyway???) :D :cool:

Ron Jones near Indy
07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
That's a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Great story Reed. Now I can run out to the shop and "un-peen" all my tapes. :rolleyes: :D

Jerry Olexa
07-15-2006, 5:34 PM
Great story...Innocent help, well intentioned but:(