Bill O'Conner
07-14-2006, 4:42 PM
ok which one and why??? need help

Thanks
Bill

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 4:51 PM
Bill,
I already weighed in on this one so I'll sit by the sidlines and waite to here from others. That said some have bought the Grizzly copy of the oneway that I have. Its about 1/3 the price but I don't buy mail order and thats the only way I could get one. I have no regrets with mine. As a matter of fact theres a bowl sitting in it right now on my little Rikon that I hope to finish this weekend. It sure beat a glue block and face plates.

Keith Burns
07-14-2006, 5:34 PM
My vote goes for the super nova. Why ? Because I have one one it performs flawlessly. You can get different jaws and different inserts if you change lathes, which I recently did. Price was also a factor. I got mine for about $180 including the insert and freight. If you PM me I'll tell you where. Bottom line for the most part they are all good except I'd stay away from the tommy bar type as they don't seem to hold as well IMHO.

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 5:39 PM
Bottom line for the most part they are all good except I'd stay away from the tommy bar type as they don't seem to hold as well IMHO.

Hmmm Keith I've not had a problem with my oneway with Tommey bars. I lock the spinde and turn the inside ring to mount the piece then I take both tommey bars and re-tignten. ... That said now watch i'll have a launch tonight.:eek:

Lee DeRaud
07-14-2006, 6:07 PM
Hmmm Keith I've not had a problem with my oneway with Tommey bars.Second that, although with PSI and Grizzly chucks. I seriously doubt I can put as much torque on the T-handle wrenches that come with the more expensive chucks as I can with the tommy bars. (Note: I may be abnormal, given that I managed to break one of the tommy bars for the PSI chuck. :eek: They replaced it free though. :cool: )

Scott Donley
07-14-2006, 6:20 PM
Bill, I bought the Talon, reasons were, 1. A friend that was new to using a chuck recommended it. 2. When learning all this spiny stuff I wanted it to be painless, I figured I could cut a flat tenon verses a dovetail. 3.The Nova and the Oneway were about the same price. When I get to the point of needing a backup chuck or second one it will probably be the Grizz 'cause I am not a rich person ;(
Your Cman is a 3/4 X16 spindle and WHEN you upgrade from it to something new the Grizz will not fit without a spindle adapter and to me that is not a great way to go.
Keep in mind I have just bought a new lathe and I only bought it to justify buying the more expensive chuck, go figure The lathe you have only has a 9 inch swing so I would think about any of the chucks would work for you. Then again, your lathe can do outboard turning so a LH thread insert might be nice ;)