PDA

View Full Version : Tooling Acrylic

Bob Kline
07-14-2006, 4:35 PM
Is it possible, with a well equipped woodworking shop, to cut, route, bevel, sand, glue, etc 3/4" acrilic? I have some product ideas that would require me to perform these functions on acrylic prior to laser engraving. Also, what would be the best way to "glue" acrylic to wood?
Thanks

Joe Pelonio
07-14-2006, 4:49 PM
Before the laser I did some acrylic fabrication the old fashioned way, they make polishing compounds and buffing wheels for the edges. Routing, sawing and drilling is about the same as wood, you just have to leave the paper on it and go slower. You can also flame polish the edges but that's hard on 3/4". Glueing to wood I've never done, I have used screws. The acrylic can be drilled and tapped on the edge and screws applied thru holes drilled in the wood, or you can countersink holes in the acrylic and use wood screws. Acrylic is normally glued to itself with the cement that
actually melts and welds it. Most glues that stick to wood are not going to stick to acrylic and vice versa. You could experiment with something like liquid nails, or look in the adhesive department for something recommended for both materials.