PDA

View Full Version : Delta Tenoning jig

Ed Bamba
07-14-2006, 2:52 PM
I just scored a used tenoning jig for $10, along with a Rousseau router plate. Not sure which Delta model it is (34-184 or 183) and have been seaching the net for info on switching it over for my left tilt TS. Checked out Grizzly's version of the Delta model and downloaded the manual for it. The Grizz version has an extra set of mounting holes for the miter slot guide bar, which allows moving the bar further to the left on the base. My model doesn't have the extra mounting holes, nor does it have the anti-tipping washers at each end of the bar.

1) Am I stuck with the way it is set up?
2) Is there a way to reassemble the jig for a left tilt TS?
3) Should I just deal with it by attaching a thick piece of stock to the verticle plate and lose some width capacity?
4) Accept the fact that I can only cut on the far side, opposite the verticle plate (jig fence)?

Thanks for your inputs,
Ed

Allen Bookout
07-14-2006, 3:23 PM
Ed, I have the Grizzly and recently moved the bar over for a left tilt saw. I measured the distance between the holes and as near as I can measure they are 1.1 inches apart. That is looking at the front of the jig (looking at it as though you are ready to push it through the blade) the left tilt holes are 1.1 inches to the left of the holes for the right tilt setup. I would think that you could drill new holes in your base and it would be fine. Just make sure that it is lined up perfectly to the miter slots before you tighten them down.

I sure do like the anti tipping washers, or whatever you call it, on the bar. I think that I might want to get a new bar and drill and tap new holes if you need to. I guess that it is not completely necessay. You might want to give it a try before making a final choice since you already have the origional bar.

I really like the jig, by the way. Once you get it set up you can really whip out the tenons in a hurry and they are very accurate.

Allen

Jesse Cloud
07-14-2006, 4:18 PM
I have the 34-184. It is adjustable for either left or right tilt. You should be able to find the manual at www.deltamachinery.com (http://www.deltamachinery.com)

If you can't find it, pm me and I'll scan the page in and email it to you.

Jess

Ed Bamba
07-14-2006, 7:27 PM
Allen, thanks for your input. I am considering drilling new holes if all other efforts fail. I may even order a base from Grizzly if it is cost effective enough (providing it will fit the jig I have).

Jesse, PM sent and thanks for the offer.

Take care,
Ed

Mike Cutler
07-14-2006, 8:54 PM
Ed. On my left tilt General. I would have to drill holes to move it to the right, not left. It is designed to operate in the miter slot to the left of the blade. For my setup it wouldn't be possible to drill new holes. They are already to the left of the jig base about as far as they can go.

I opted for choice #3. I just put some sacrificial MDF on the face. I have primarily only cut tenons on 4/4 material, and there is plenty of room. I can still mount a 2" thick piece of material in it as is. Thicker than that, and I would just take the MDF off.
There are already 4 holes drilled thru in the jig face. I think they knew that folks would be attaching a sacrificial face to the jig to protect the blade from striking the jig. ( Yes... I did it once, and then figured out what those holes were for.
I use the same Tenon Jig on my right tilt Jet tablesaw. without problems.

Here are some pics. Pic 1 is on the General. Pic 2 is on the Jet. Pic 3 is the back of the tenon jig face showing where I screwed through the already drilled holes to attach the face.

Oh yeah.. This is a 34-183 Tenon Jig.

Ed Bamba
07-14-2006, 9:03 PM
Mike, thanks for the pix. Screwing a board onto the fence is likely the easiest and fastest way of taking care of the situation.

Ed

Allen Bookout
07-14-2006, 9:22 PM
Mike, thanks for the pix. Screwing a board onto the fence is likely the easiest and fastest way of taking care of the situation.

Ed

The only problem is that you are going to loose one inch of capacity. I think that you need all that you can get if it is not a real hastle to drill the holes and set it up that way.

Mike Cutler
07-14-2006, 9:59 PM
Ed.

Allen may just have something there.
I went out to the garage to see what it would take to drill the holes in the base to move the jig to the right.... and they were already there.Shows ya' how often I've looked at the bottom of that jig in the last 10 years.
I never knew those holes were there. I guess it makes sense though. The Grizzly is an exact copy of the Delta. If teh Griz' had a second set of mounting holes, the Delta should also have them.
I might just move them as Allen suggests. I'll still keep one layer of 1/2" handi board for a sacrificial face.

Pic 1 is the bottom of a Delta 34-183. Pic 2, sorry for the blurry photo, shows the approximate distance between holes. The captive fasteners are on the inside of the jig.

Ed Bamba
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I must have the 34-184 because my base doesn't have the extra holes. Either that, or I have an older version of the 34-183 that didn't have come with extra holes for the less common left-tilt TS. Hope that made sense:confused: