PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Set Up My Shop!

Jason Christenson
07-14-2006, 2:43 PM
In about two weeks my family and I are moving into our new house and for the first time ever I will have a chance to set up something resembling a real shop. The space I have available is in the basement. It is 13 feet wide and open on one end. At some point I will probably close it off entirely and the maximum length will likely be about 30 feet. There are two daylight windows on the wall opposite the open end (the bottom on my drawing). The tools I have to fit in are a lathe (of course), table saw, belt/disc sander, very large drill press, and a freestanding bench grinder. I also have a bench top planer and jointer. One of my first projects will have to be a workbench of some sort.

I am looking for advice on just about everything; layout, lighting (right now there are two bulbs in there), dust control and anything else you can think of. I am interested in everything from a shoestring budget (now) to top of the line (later).

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

I look forward to hearing what everybody has to say.

Jeff Myers
07-14-2006, 3:47 PM
Jason,
Congrats on the shop space,,,I'll have to go take some pix of my basement shop,,,it's almost an identical mirror image of your layout.
I'm very unorganized right now as I'm waiting on (hopefully) some proceeds from my first craft show coming up in August to allow me
to re-wire the basement for a shop and then I'll start true walls and setup. Right now I've created some temporary walls with 2x4 studs and thick clear plastic sheeting to cordon off the open area to control dust,,,my narrow area
i have designated for shop is 17 x 35 ,,,started of 17 x 20 but I kept
pushing that back wall out as it got crowded ;-)
I too have limited lighting so the plastic is great letting all available lighting from windows and lights outside the shop area enter the shop, and the walls being temporary have been great to allow me to build my shop temporarily,play with the setup and adjust as needed. Now i just need the $$$ to make
it permanent.

Ernie Nyvall
07-14-2006, 6:40 PM
Jason, Grizzly offers an online build your own shop... bottom left of their home page. You can place tools anywhere and print and save it. It's a pretty neat deal. Other than that, plenty of electricity. Also cabinets with doors for holding all the little stuff.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
07-14-2006, 7:23 PM
Here ya go. All set!:D

Mark Cothren
07-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Here ya go. All set!:D

Amen, Brother Stinson... good preachin'...

George Conklin
07-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Amen, Brother Stinson... good preachin'...

Revrend!

"Gabby"
(Blazing Saddles)

Frank Fusco
07-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Jason, I'm not sure anyone can advise on what you would like. My shop space is very similar to yours. An extra long one car garage, no windows.
I put my lathe at the right rear corner along the long wall, the workbench on opposite wall. I am using an 'island' concept for other tools. My grinding/sanding/sharpening island contains five tools. My drill press and some accessories are on another. My flat sander is on another with some work space and shelves under. These are all in the center. I know those who do a lot of large flatwork need to put the workbench in the center for 360 degree access. That's not my need. When you arrange yours, send pictures and let us know what you did. p.s. I did not install much extra power options. I mainly use just a heavy duty extension cord and plug one machine at a time. When done, it gets rolled up onto a garden hose hanger. That makes it safe from visitors and grandchildren.

Jason Christenson
07-19-2006, 7:03 PM
Ernie-
Thanks for the Grizzly tip. I used that program and came up with a layout I think I like. When I get a chance I'll post it.

Jason