PDA

View Full Version : First turnings from golf course trees.

Bill MacLachlan
09-22-2003, 9:02 PM
I posted in the spring that I was able to get some logs from my golf course after an ice storm. The attached pictures are the first things from this batch. We think these are yellow birch, but not sure. The urn is my first lidded vessel, so is also my first time using jam chucks. Reasonably impressed with first try. Urn is 4" wide x 6" high. Bowl is 2.5" high x 5" wide. Finish is tung oil and wax. Still need to learn more about finishing. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Bill

John Miliunas
09-22-2003, 9:12 PM
Still need to learn more about finishing. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Bill

And exactly what more do you think you *need* to learn about finishing? Nothing on turned pieces, I'm sure! Both are nicely done, with very pretty figure and the finish looks A-OK to these old eyes! Very nice, Bill! :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-22-2003, 9:17 PM
Nice work Bill! As John stated, the finish looks fine to me. The grain continuity you achieved on the Urn is really beautiful. Very nice wood, and great turnings! Thanks for sharing the photo's, they are very nice to look at! :)

Lynn Sonier
09-23-2003, 6:03 PM
Darn you Bill, you're gonna make me go out and buy a lathe. However, I already have enough tools I can hurt myself with.