PDA

View Full Version : Transfer tape

John Minton
07-14-2006, 1:42 PM
Hello All

I have read a lot about using transfer tape but I am not sure what it is. All seem to say that any sign shop has it. If I walk in and ask will they know what type I need for a laser or is there only one type?

What I am trying to do is stop stains on birch plywood business cards. I tried the blue painters masking tape but it seems hard to get thru when engraving.

Thanks for all your help

John

Joe Pelonio
07-14-2006, 2:08 PM
The transfer tape is not made for lasers, it's made for transferring vinyl lettering. It just happens to work great for lasers. You want to buy it at a sign SUPPLY company. Unless you find a friendly cooperative and helpful sign shop they probably wouldn't sell it to you or would charge a fortune.
I give away roll ends once in a while but not all sign shops are as nice as me.

There is a clear plastic like transfer tape, don't get that, it has to be the paper type
like this:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-A-RS.html

Mike Null
07-15-2006, 9:58 AM
John:

Can you put a finish on the stock before engraving. If so, you can engrave and just wipe off the residue with a cleaner dissolved in water.

But I use transfer tape also depending on the job.

John Minton
07-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the answers

I have tried several clear spray finishes which help but I am going to try the transfer tape also.

I will let you know if I get thrown out and by how many. I am going to start with sign shops that I know do not have a laser and maybe pick up a customer along the way. Who know maybe even get to know them.

Wish me luck

John

Dave Jones
07-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I bought a 12" x 100 yard roll from laserbits for about $50. It's going to outlive me at the rate I use it.

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2006, 1:57 PM
Thanks for the answers

I have tried several clear spray finishes which help but I am going to try the transfer tape also.

I will let you know if I get thrown out and by how many. I am going to start with sign shops that I know do not have a laser and maybe pick up a customer along the way. Who know maybe even get to know them.

Wish me luck

John
John, Good Luck!

Tell them you'll beat the price of Gemini cut Acrylic Letters, no setup (or very low) charge for logos if they give you good vector art, and no shipping as they can pick up. I'm a sign shop but do laser work for several other sign shops.

John Minton
07-17-2006, 4:26 PM
Thanks Joe

I should do alright I have done work for some of them on the metal side of the business. I do know that sign businesses are somewhat different from other industrial/manufacturing businesses. But service and delivery time is always a plus for a local co.

Thanks again

John