PDA

View Full Version : No lathe time!!!

George Conklin
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Living in the oven has it's advantages and definite disadvantages.

It's great in the winter, but miserable in the summer. Especially if your shop is in the garage. Yesterdays temp in the shop was near 117:eek: . I think my eyeballs were starting to melt!

I bought one of those portable A/C units on wheels. It's fine as fine as log as your standing right in front of it. If you move away, you run the risk of spontaneously com-busting:eek: .

I tried a large portable swamp cooler and again, you need to be right in front for any relief. And if the humidity goes up, they don't work so well.

So right now I get to live vicariously through all of you. So, if y'all could "hook a brutha up" and POST MORE PICKS PLEASE!

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey George,
I'll be back in the oven next week :eek: . PM me if you'll have a little time I got a present for ya..:D It's gonna be tripple digit over here this weekend so mother nature is getting me prepared.

Brian McInturff
07-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I can feel your pain George. I live just a little inland from the beach here.Temps in the 80's but high humidity and dew point. Need to water proof the lathe just from the sweat. More water comes off me than what comes out of green turning. So, I turn either at night or early morning with 4 fans directed on me from all directions.
Brian (where the weatherman says it feels like 99 right now)

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 12:45 PM
George,
Another thought. Go on over to woodcraft and tell Kurt that you volunteer to do demo's on the lathes in his demo room. It air conditioned.:D

George Conklin
07-14-2006, 12:58 PM
George,
Another thought. Go on over to woodcraft and tell Kurt that you volunteer to do demo's on the lathes in his demo room. It air conditioned.:D

Hey,,, now there's an idea;) .

John Timberlake
07-14-2006, 12:59 PM
I tried a large portable swamp cooler and again, you need to be right in front for any relief. And if the humidity goes up, they don't work so well.

So when you say the humidity goes up, you're talking from 10% up to 20%, right. Can't imagine the humidity in AZ gets enough this time of year to feel anything other than dry to us Easterners. Sure glad my shop is in the basement where the temperature and humidity are relatively constant. Pretty much 70 degrees summer and winter.

Ron Ainge
07-14-2006, 1:07 PM
I will be spending the weekend for 8 to 5 turning tops in the local park for kids this weenend with three other turners form our local club. The temp here is expected to be over the century mark both days and we have no fans or coolers to work with. I hope that there is a few clouds in the spy to help with the direct sun. We do have one advantage, the have provided us with a cover to keep us out of the direct sun. We did this last year and I don't know who has the most fun, the kids of the four of us watching them as they color the tops we turn. I will spend the days sweting just to watch the faces of the kids light up when they get the free tops.

Michael Stafford
07-14-2006, 1:53 PM
George, I am sorry it is uncomfortably hot there. Here it is a balmy 95 degrees with 95% humidity. You stew in your own juices....I cannot keep the sweat out of my eyes long enough to get anything done. My only shop time is in the morning between 5 and 7 AM and even then it can be unbearable and in the evenings after the sun goes down. Maybe I can get an hour or two then....Even my air conditioner sweats in this heat....:o

Corey Hallagan
07-14-2006, 3:46 PM
Wow! That is hot! Going to be 100 here today. I can comfortably work in the evenings in my shop and on the weekends as long as I am done by noon I am in good shape. Much later than that than it does get a little warm. Most of the garage/shop is underground level and with the insulated garage door and no window in the door it stays pretty decent all day during 90 temps but when it gets to 100 better be done by noon and save finishing until evening.

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-14-2006, 4:03 PM
38.2C (101F) here and 70% humidity, you don't want to be here now.....

Bill O'Conner
07-14-2006, 4:28 PM
Their talking mid 90's here all weekend and in to the middle of next week so I guess I'll be shopping for that drill press than. Too hot to be in the garage even with the doors opened.:mad:

Mike Vickery
07-14-2006, 5:10 PM
It could be worse I just got back from driving a truck 2000 miles to move my parents in law to AZ from MI. Luckily they hired people to unload the truck today. But I got tired just watching them lug everything in the 107 degree heat.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2006, 8:27 PM
George it is time to stay inside and have another bowl of ice cream. It is suppose to be over a 100 here for the next week. :mad:

Barry Stratton
07-15-2006, 1:58 AM
Just can't relate guys. Sunny, earlier, raining now. High of 64, low of 49. Yes, thats degree's F!

07-15-2006, 4:01 AM
Just can't relate guys. Sunny, earlier, raining now. High of 64, low of 49. Yes, thats degree's F!

Ya sure Barry, but in a few weeks, the 49F will be your high :D

Randy Moore
07-15-2006, 9:25 AM
Ya sure Barry, but in a few weeks, the 49F will be your high :D:eek:

And in a few months he will be wishing he could have that high. It will be below ZERO, a long way below. I will stay here in Kansas and put up with the heat and the cold. :eek: :)

Stu, sounds like you are getting the heat also.

Dario Octaviano
07-15-2006, 9:28 AM
Here's someone who can relate...my shop/garage is also high 90's with 90% humidity these past weeks.

I open the doors to get some breeze and the mosquitoes are feasting on me :(. OFF is my friend.

07-15-2006, 9:45 AM
:eek:

And in a few months he will be wishing he could have that high. It will be below ZERO, a long way below. I will stay here in Kansas and put up with the heat and the cold. :eek: :)

Stu, sounds like you are getting the heat also.

Yeah, Barry will be hoping the low is no -49F :D

We have really been getting it, the other night, around 10 PM it was 31C (88F) and 66% humidity, yuck! :(

There have been all sorts of folks dropping from the heat, most older people, but some younger ones too.

There was a highschool sporting event, maybe soccer, and they whole school had to go out, it was bright sunshine, over 40C (105+F)and massive humidity, a dozen or so kids had to be taken to the hospital. Now how stupid is that?

Sure glad I can go stand in the walk in fridge every now and then :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
07-15-2006, 9:51 AM
Heat won't keep me out of the shop. Figger if I sweat, I just shower later. But in summer it does present me with other problems. My shop is lower level of a two level house with walk-out downstairs. The shop is in an extral long one-car garage. My lathe is set up next to the well pressure tank, water softner and lotsa pipes. They sweat so much in humid weather I get puddles on the floor. Have to make sure I cover all bare metal with Johnson's paste wax early on. Later, when things get to lower humidity, all is well. Advantage is, sweeping soggy shavings is less dusty than dry.

Bill O'Conner
07-15-2006, 5:55 PM
Frank ever thought about wraping the pipes might help some.

Bill

Brian McInturff
07-15-2006, 7:54 PM
Right now it's 97 here not counting the heat index. Even the pool didn't help today. Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
07-15-2006, 8:35 PM
George, Just remember it could be worse...your heat our humidity...both together.:eek: But I hear ya man!