PDA

View Full Version : QSWO Umbrella Table completed

Gary Herrmann
07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
My wife saw this in a magazine - not sure which one. It was a how to build it article - she jotted down some dimensions and told me what she basically wanted. I don't think mine differs too much from the original plan.

The base slopes in at 10 degrees. I painted thinned glue on the edges of the ply in an attempt to avoid moisture problems.

Top is 30 x 30. Gaps are 1/8" - I used two popsicle sticks as spacers for each one.

I used Cabot's Australian Timber oil. The top is still drying in the pic, and I think I may apply one more coat to ensure an even look.

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Very nice Gary. I like it.

Bob Childress
07-14-2006, 12:21 PM
That's a nice table and an unusual design for an umbrella table. Should make SWMBO very happy.:)

Julio Navarro
07-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I like that design very much, should look great next to a couple of addirondack chairs.

Dan Oliphant
07-14-2006, 4:56 PM
Looks good Gary, QSWO always makes pieces stand out. Have you placed the chairs that will be used with it around the table to see how they work with the slope?

Gary Herrmann
07-14-2006, 5:02 PM
Looks good Gary, QSWO always makes pieces stand out. Have you placed the chairs that will be used with it around the table to see how they work with the slope?

Good question Dan. I did. I built this one on the same principle as the little cherry table I built for my wife. This will function like an end table in that I want someone to just be able to roll their arm a bit off the chair arm and their beverage of choice will be right in their hand. My wife finds it quite comfortable and convenient on her little cherry table.

This table will be flanked by two chairs facing the pool. Built with my wife and her best friend in mind when they watch the kids in the pool.

If it's popular, maybe I'll build one for the dads with a built in cooler...

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice job, Gary. The oak really looks sweet, and I like the shape of the base, especially when it's pictured as a side table for a pair of chairs.

- Vaughn