PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
07-14-2006, 7:07 AM
Friday July 14th, 2006

Another Friday. Mid summer. Days are already getting shorter.

Not much on my agenda as it's supposed to be mid 90's with humidity to match, so I'm just going to try and figure out where "IT" goes. I've got my wind sock and sun dial to help with directions.

So, what's on the table for this weekend. Fun, games, work, play or.......

Whatever it may be make it a safe weekend.

Karl

P.S. Ken.....KEN!!! Shut off the lathe, come out of the shop and clean the house. And do the dishes while you're at it. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-14-2006, 7:24 AM
Darn near 98F here, and the humidity is nearly as high!

I hate this time of year, even some wind would be nice :rolleyes:

The Dungeon is nice and cool, but I won't get much time down there....

Have to do some work on one of our rental apts, all outside, in the heat...yuck...:(

Have a good one guys! :)

Mike Weaver
07-14-2006, 7:35 AM
Headed to the Harrisburg Senators baseball game with another family tonight.

Tomorrow will be a bit of shop time very early (hope to make a bit of progress on the lumber rack), and then yard work/watch the kids while SWMBO goes to a Cub Scout Day Camp Meeting.

THEN, our church is hosting an FFH concert (http://www.ffh.net/) as the first in a series in York County by First Step Productions.

Sunday, will be Church and rest (maybe I can sneak in a bi of shop time there).

Have a safe weekend everyone!
-Mike

Matt Meiser
07-14-2006, 7:38 AM
Tonight is my 15 year high school reunion. The rest of the weekend I will be finishing up installing the sump pump in my shop, then cleaning up the shop. and making a dust hood for the lathe for sanding. Thinking about going to an antique tractor show which would be fun, but its going to be very hot here too.

Larry Rose
07-14-2006, 7:44 AM
We're headed to the beach (Kitty Hawk NC). It's way to hot and humid for me to work in shop for free. Sweat and saw dust don"t mix for me. I can't wait for a frost.

Mike Hill
07-14-2006, 8:16 AM
I plan on finishing the Shaker Console Table I am building for my wife. Hope to get pictures on SMC by Sunday or early in the week. Need to clean out the Smoker from last weeks Rib Barbecuing and mow the lawn. Temperatures here in the high 90's so all of this has to happen early in the day. :)

Chris Barton
07-14-2006, 8:22 AM
Taking the 8yo daughter fishing this morning and beginning my vacation for the next two weeks. Last week of July I will spend in 5 day professional turning course with Judy Ditmar. May begin a Penn style kitchen hutch this weekend. I have had the curly maple in my shop aclimating for about 3-4 months now.

Ken Salisbury
07-14-2006, 8:28 AM
GONE FISHING !!!

Mark Pruitt
07-14-2006, 8:30 AM
A couple of new toys....er, I mean tools, arrived this week. I plan to make use of 'em both. A Freud SD 806 Dado and a Delta tenoning Jig. Sorry...no pics yet, they're not even out of the box yet!
And the everlasting workbench project continues....
Mark

John Timberlake
07-14-2006, 8:41 AM
No woodworking this weekend. Going to burn some black powder at a French and Indian War re-enactment. Running around in wool - in the sun - 90 degree heat. Great fun.

George Sanders
07-14-2006, 8:42 AM
I'm going to finish up several projects. I made the molding to finally finish the window trim. Everything snowballs. The new sash required new trim. Arrrgh! My galoot tool cabinet is half done, and now to get the rest if it done so I can start on 3 jewelry boxes for my nieces.

Ned Bulken
07-14-2006, 8:52 AM
agenda:
1) raid the tool crib at the BORG (new sander, and laminate trimmer)
2) Set up awning, scroll new address and name signs for mailbox (put up new mailbox also)
3) buy new Dryer for house
4) scroll wedding gift for friend's daughter
5) finish building rolling bench
6) empty out shed, move stuff to storage unit
7) build shelves for storage unit

Garry Smith
07-14-2006, 8:56 AM
Plan on hiding out in the shop for the weekend to hide from the heat.
It stays nice in cool in the shop as long as the doors and windows remain closed.
I plan on roughing out a few more cherry and maple burls for turning and carved out bowls.
Garry

Jim Hinze
07-14-2006, 9:01 AM
I'm working on my workbench (getting the trestle legs finished and start the top), then building a golf caddy....

Kyle Kraft
07-14-2006, 9:05 AM
I get to move all my equipment to the storage side of my shop building so they can strip and repaint my shop floor due to a botched paint job last year.

Bob Childress
07-14-2006, 9:08 AM
First weekend in about a month with no "function" to attend. Install a couple of sliding drawers in the kitchen base cabinets which have already been finished and build a couple more for future installation. Order new sink, faucet and cooktop for kitchen remodel. Clean the shop a little. Supposed to be low 90's but maybe a rainstorm or two and we could use the rain.

Larry Fox
07-14-2006, 9:21 AM
Have to load the truck to go to the dump tomorrow to get rid of a bunch of junk that got some water in the recent storms we had here in SE PA. Building some shelves for my wife tomorrow out of ... gulp.... MDF. :( I have to do it all outside as I try not to cut too much of it in my shop - makes too much of a mess for me. Should be super fun in this heat and humidity. MIL coming Sat night which is fantastic as it allows me to retreat to the shop for the remainder of the weekend consequence free. Hoping to get the rails and stiles on the door panels that I finished a week or so ago for my kitchen project.

Gil Mitchell
07-14-2006, 9:46 AM
16" jones superior jointer picked it up yesterday

Karl Laustrup
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
GONE FISHING !!!

Way to go Ken. So the fish fry's at your house tonight. What time should we be there? :D

Karl

Al Willits
07-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Gonna hit 100 saturday and I get to work, inside anyway, so it won't be as bad as the poor techs who work out in the field.

Cleaning the garage in short spurts is planned, temps in the high 90's are getting a bit much for this old guy, so I'll be moving rather slow.

Maybe a bit of golf Sun morn, but I doubt it.

Have monday off and will prob go look at several lumberyards for some pine, plywood and whatever else is out there....hopefully on sale. :)

Have a safe and well weekend all.

Al

Jack Ferrell
07-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Working at my payin job on Saturday. Sunday put together my new DP then start back to work on my home repair.

Don Baer
07-14-2006, 11:05 AM
More packing. Got to get ready to take another load to AZ on Monday. Going to close escrow on this house on or about Aug. 1 and have 5 day to vacate this place so time is drawing short. I hope to do a little turning before I move the lathe and bandsaw on monday. Were having another couple over on Sunday for a Bar-B-Que.

Steve Clardy
07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Buddy John and I will hit the Grizzly tent sale in Springfield, MO. tomorrow and see if theres any goodies there to be had.
That place is usually wall to wall bodies for a while, so We usually show up there around 10:00 so maybe part of the crowd has cleared out.
Its held outside on the asphault parking lot, so it's gonna be a hot one probably.

Ben Roman
07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
The Family is in California visiting my parents so i am going to run a muck. Fishing 1st thing Saturday morning. Then i am going to layout my new shop Yippee on the yard with stakes and string. After that I am going to Start working on a Grandfather clock kit i got from klockit. Sunday Putter around and work on the clock. Maybe mow the yard.

Ben

Julio Navarro
07-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Gonna hit 100 saturday..

Darn, al, I would not have thought you were a day over 40:p

I'll be building a TS blade guard for with dust collector attachment
Building a turn line for the cyclone, and odds and ends for the cyclone and shop.

Steve Wargo
07-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Finally a weekend doin's gloat. Heading to Hilton Head for some much needed R & R... and a little golf.

Travis Johnson
07-14-2006, 12:58 PM
I just finished up the majority of my Solar kiln, though I have a few odds and ends to do. It seems as if I got it done just in time, its getting kind of hot in there right now. In the 90's here and that is unusual for Maine.

Man do I ever wish it was snowing. Summer definately sucks!

John Shuk
07-14-2006, 8:13 PM
I gotta work. we had a tornado pas through not too far south of here and there is a mess of broken poles and stuff.

Randy Cox
07-14-2006, 8:50 PM
My weekend to work nights...7pm to 7am...so not much of nuthin. Wish I was off...I would be in Springfield tomorrow also(along with Steve and about 2 bazillion others) for the big tent sale. Could pick up the baby drum sander in person. Oh well, probably will actually save me money by working.

Randy

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I've got a boatload of "work" work to do this weekend (from home), but that'll be indoors under the central air, and much of it late at night.

The shop's gonna be hot this weekend (sounds like a familiar story nationwide), and I don't do early mornings, so any shop time will be in short spurts, hot, and as late as I can do it without disturbing the neighbors. Sunday my BIL will be back over for more work on all his viking re-enactment stuff. Progress is going pretty well on the viking bed project, and I expect to knock out some more of that this weekend.

I do have a chunk of olive wood calling my name, so I might rough out another bowl on the lathe tonight for a break from work. ;)

- Vaughn

Gary Herrmann
07-14-2006, 10:48 PM
My son turns 6 in the morning. So screaming hordes of little boys at ChuckECheese is on the agenda. After that, probably 27 ibuprofin and a nap.

Dennis Peacock
07-15-2006, 1:06 AM
Howdy Karl,

I'm going to HAVE to be in the shop this weekend. Too hot and humid to work outside, so I guess I'll just have to suffer working inside the shop where it will be cooler.!!! :D

Making good progress on the legs for the computer desk. Also taking some time to continue the turning education for my 11 year old son Joseph.

David Rose
07-15-2006, 2:10 AM
and he asked me a couple of weeks ago when we were going fishing. We have fished together ONE time in our lives! So...

He's been to the library checking out every book they have on fly fishing, which is about all the fishing I do anymore, and way too little of that. He picked up a fly rod, had me help him set it up, practiced a little, and bought some terminal gear. He is serious!

So Sunday afternoon I hope to be standing in 60 degree water! That will feel sooo good with our temps about to hit 90. Of course, being in Arkansas, this is a tailwater not a nice beautiful free stream. But our trout get BIG and they are calling my name.

David

John Kempkes
07-15-2006, 3:31 PM
I'm putting a shed together in the yard, that will take some storage out of the garage and free up more room for my stuff.

Cutting a hole in the shop wall to fit an air conditioner.

Maybe getting to the point I can reorganize the shop and get my new workbench installed.

Steve Hayes
07-17-2006, 9:58 AM
Got to watch the Orkin guy for 6 hours treating for termites. Weeeeee!!!
But then got serious and decided where the AC is going to be installed in the shop (2 car garage).

Bob Huddleston
07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Other than trying to stay cool (it's hot for Michigan!), worked on making some upper cabinets for my workshop. First time trying to use biscuits (gotta learn sometime!) and figured screwing up workshop cabinets is the way to go. Also made four new bird houses using cedar fencing I got on sale. Other than that, wedding and graduation party! Hope all are well!