PDA

View Full Version : After a long wait...

Scott Fernald
07-13-2006, 8:39 PM
I'm finally making curlies of wood in my own garage! After getting sucked into the Abyss after a Woodcraft bowl turning class back in March, I've been putting together the pieces. These include:
The wood stash: including cherry, walnut, osage orange, gnarly spalted maple burl, fresh maple and cedar. Also some poplar and spalted oak I slabbed up to practice cutting bowl blanks. Had to buy a chainsaw of course - so I could get all the "free" wood! :rolleyes:

Grinder & Wolverine jig so I could learn how to sharpen all the PSI tools I picked up...

And the last piece was the little lathe I grabbed a week ago. And a G3 chuck...

So far I've pulled 5 bowls out of their DNA bath and I'm waiting for them to dry. Things I've learned so far: The maple burl chunks are hard as a rock and difficult to turn (from a very large tree that was down for almost a year) but have all kinds of interesting stuff going on. Some of the OO blanks developed pith cracks so bad they are headed to the woodstove.:mad:
And it is really hard to get blanks into shape without a bandsaw...and the abyss pulls me in deeper.....:D

Travis Stinson
07-13-2006, 8:43 PM
Way to go Scott! And, don't even bother to try to see the bottom.;)

Mark Rios
07-13-2006, 8:44 PM
Shoooooootttt....those are some big ol' chunks-o-wood ya got there.

Very nice.

Corey Hallagan
07-13-2006, 8:55 PM
Great little set up Scott! Congrats. Looking forward to seeing you turned projects!

Corey

Keith Burns
07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
As we say down here in the South.....Get-er-done !!! Great set up. Lookin forward to seeing some turnings:) :)

John Miliunas
07-13-2006, 10:42 PM
You're well on your way, Scott! Can't wait to see some completed pieces! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
07-13-2006, 10:47 PM
SOOOOOO Scott, how much you figure that "free wood" has cost you so far?

SLIP SLIDIN AWAY!! SLIP SLIDIN AWAY!!

Karl

Tom Sherman
07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Way to go Scott, Now there is no excuse keep on pluggin

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Great looking setup Scott. Like was said before don't even bother to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The vortex put it out. Can't wait to see some turnings with that stock of wood.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
WTG Scott. Just a Little admonishment. I went from a Jet mini (Couldn't put enough wood on it so that I couldn't keep it from walking away) to the same Rikon you have. You will want to bolt that "BEAST" down. It has so much power you can make it dance a jig.

Enjoy the vortex. The Rikon will make it a pleasure!

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
07-14-2006, 1:21 AM
I laughted to myself when you mentioned you had to buy a chainsaw to get free wood. I think of the thousands of dollars I have spent to get a free wooden bowl.

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2006, 2:21 AM
I thought I'd been hearing a whooshing sound lately. I was right. It was the vortex sucking you in. May as well relax and enjoy the ride, 'cause there's no going back. You've got a nice set-up started there, and I see room in your shop for lots more turning goodies.

Have fun -

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2006, 9:03 AM
You are on your way Scott! Go Bro!

Ernie Nyvall
07-14-2006, 6:27 PM
Congrats Scott and welcome to As the World Turns.

Ernie