PDA

View Full Version : DNA Soaking Question

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 5:43 PM
It seems most folks soak wet rough-turned bowls in DNA for 24 hours before letting them dry. I did that with my first little bowl and got good results. Is there any harm (or advantage) to keeping one in the DNA bath for a longer period of time? I have an olive wood (I think) bowl soaking now that's about 36 hours into its bath. Is there any urgent need to pull it out before tomorrow?

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 5:47 PM
Personally, Vaughn, the only problem I can see with leaving an item in the DNA bath too long is if the DNA has been discolored. I would think (and I may be completely wrong here, as I've never done DNA) that the tannins and other colored materials in the DNA would soak further into the wood itself. The effect may be negligible, however.

From the standpoint of the soundness of the wood, however, I would say there wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

Brian McInturff
07-13-2006, 5:49 PM
Vaughn,
I left my oak bowls in it for 3 or 4 days. Didn't see any problems. Who knows, maybe it helped since one had already started to crack. No movement whatsoever after the soak. Brian

Andy Hoyt
07-13-2006, 5:49 PM
Not for me Vaughn. I forgot about one once for a whole week. Came through with flying colors. 'course, I launched it, buts that's another story.

Pretty sure Dave Smith's research concluded that an extended dunk had no deleterious effects as well.

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 5:55 PM
Cool...that's good feedback to have. This blank was cracking pretty quickly on me while still on the faceplate. (I had to wait a few days for a chuck adaptor before roughing out the inside of the bowl.) I'd turn away the cracks on the outside of the bowl, then they'd start coming back by the next morning. I finally painted with latex primer to keep it stable until I could finish roughing it out. Since it has a history of wanting to crack, I think I'll let it take a nice leisurely bath. (Brian's comments are encouraging in that regard.) It still may blow up on me, but anything I can do to lessen the chance will be a good thing.

Thanks, guys.

- Vaughn

Don Baer
07-13-2006, 6:00 PM
I finally painted with latex primer to keep it stable until I could finish roughing it out.

Vaughn,
You still using paint. Go get your self some of this stuff.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/30169.jpg
it's only $10.50/gallon and works better then paint.

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2006, 6:40 PM
Vaughn I have left bowls in the DNA for 72 hrs with no problems or discoloration. Did this with some white maple and looked good before and after.

Terry Quiram
07-13-2006, 8:00 PM
Vaughn

I have some soaking now for 6 days. Its too danged hot to mess with it. Maybe this weekend. My experience is that there are no detrimental effects from a long soak.

Terry

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2006, 2:57 AM
Vaughn,
You still using paint. Go get your self some of this stuff... At this point, I'm using up leftover latex Zinnser primer and Kilz primer that were left my the previous owners of the house. Both are old and thick and gloppy. When I run out of those, I'll get some real sealer. I didn't know Rockler carried it, and the price looks livable. Thanks for the tip.

- Vaughn

Dennis Peacock
07-14-2006, 3:10 AM
Vaughn,

No problems with it as far as I can tell. I've accidentally left two bowls in the soak for 5 weeks before!!:eek: My DNA is discolored a lot due to soaking of black walnut in it. It does turn the outside of the roughed bowls a dark brown, but once you turn away the outside of the bowl and the inside of the bowl, you get the natural color back. All my bowls, no matter the species come out of the bath with a brown tint to them. Turn them back rond and finish turn them? You have a nice natural color back of the wood you started with. At least that's been my experiences with it over the last SEVERAL month of using the DNA method. Thanks again Dave Smith for the DNA method. :D

Tom Jones III
07-14-2006, 8:15 AM
I've accidentally left two bowls in the soak for 5 weeks before!!:eek: ... It does turn the outside of the roughed bowls a dark brown, but once you turn away the outside of the bowl and the inside of the bowl, you get the natural color back.

I wonder, does this mean that the DNA is not penetrating any farther than that? If true then once the DNA has penetrated that far then there would be no use in soaking any longer.

I've had good results with 1/2" thick pecan soaking for a couple hours then drying for 2-3 weeks.

Dennis Peacock
07-14-2006, 9:50 AM
I wonder, does this mean that the DNA is not penetrating any farther than that? If true then once the DNA has penetrated that far then there would be no use in soaking any longer.

I've had good results with 1/2" thick pecan soaking for a couple hours then drying for 2-3 weeks.

Good point Tom, but all I know is that the color stops on the outer surface and has not "yet" made it to where I've been finishing the bowls. I've tried soaking for a short time and found that 12 hours or more works best for me.

Dick Strauss
07-15-2006, 5:44 PM
Tom,
I don't think that color penetration is a good indicator of DNA penetration. The wood from the bowl may be acting like a filter and only allowing the DNA through to the other side without allowing the pigments/tanins through its pores.

Just a thought,
Dick