PDA

View Full Version : Fear Of Flying

Jason Christenson
07-13-2006, 5:31 PM
Sunday morning I leave for Boston for my week at woodworking school. I'm planning to take my laptop and digital camera on the trip. Does anyone know anything about flying with these items? Is there a problem with either of them being x-rayed? Any info will be appreciated.

On a side note....any woodworking stores I should check out in the Boston area?

Jason

Don Baer
07-13-2006, 5:36 PM
I send both through the X-Ray machine all the time. Never had a problem.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-13-2006, 5:41 PM
From what I understand, the X-ray machines at the security checkpoint don't mess with electronic devices. You should have no difficulty. I know my wife brought my digicam with her to France and back, and it came back none the worse for wear.

Just remember to be nice to the TSA guards. :)

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2006, 5:46 PM
My "other" forum is travel-related, and this question comes up quite a bit there. AFAIK, there's no risk to your laptop or digital camera. Photographic film is sensitive to X-ray exposure, but memory chips and hards drives are not.

Have a fun trip -

- Vaughn

Lars Thomas
07-13-2006, 6:20 PM
I do it all the time - no issues. Lars

Bill Sheppard
07-13-2006, 7:19 PM
You will be required to take the laptop out of the carrying case, so be prepared for that. Keep a close eye on it as it exits the X ray machine. There is an element out there that will pick it as his/her own. It's especially bad if it is real crowded.

Tyler Howell
07-13-2006, 7:24 PM
Sometimes they even ask you to turn it on so charged and ready is a good idea. As Bill said it goes through in one of those tubs so "pack for action".

Jason Christenson
07-13-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks for all the info. One more question...I have a folding utility knife that I always carry in my pocket, I know I can't carry it onto a plane, but can I check it through?

Lars Thomas
07-13-2006, 8:25 PM
The knife must go in your checked luggage (not carry on).

Scott Steeves
07-13-2006, 9:46 PM
There's a Rockler's in Cambridge, MA, and a Woodcraft just north of Boston in Woburn. Anderson-McQuaid in Cambridge is supposed to be a great place for wood, but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Since you mention a camera... If you get a chance, get yourself over to the Hyatt hotel at the airport early in the morning. You'll get a fantastic shot of the Boston skyline. Great view of the city.

http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Boston24.jpg

Bigger, better version - 787KB (http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Boston24_1000h.jpg)

If you are interested in any places to do some photography around Boston, just PM me and give me an idea of what you like. Photography is my other hobby, and I'm pretty darned familiar with the area for shooting. I wish that I could offer to take you around to some spots, but I'm booked solid this weekend and next since my company is moving and I do a lot of the computer network stuff.

Matt Meiser
07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Any knife needs to be checked. If you get to security with it, they will either make you go back to your car or give it up. I've lost 3 keychain knives that way. I trave with my laptop no problems. I send my carry on through, then my computer bag, then my laptop so that I can watch it go into the machine, then walk through security, then watch it come out. That way it doesn't develop legs.

Jason Christenson
07-14-2006, 8:41 AM
Thanks again for all the info.

Frankie Hunt
07-14-2006, 9:58 AM
Dont forget a network cable, not all motels are wireless. Make sure your virus program and firewall are current. Always a good idea to do a backup before you travel too.

I leave my camera in the laptop bag. You put the bag in one box, your laptop in another one by it's self. Some airports also require you to take your shoes off and put them in the box when going through the detectors.

Arrive very early if the airport has any size to it. At my airport 20 minutes early can be overkill but this is NOT the norm. I almost missed a flight at a large airport. I got there an hour and a half early and almost didn't make the flight! It was not holiday travel either! Logan airport is a big one, but it is pretty efficient though.

Boston traffic is not the same as "Hick Town" USA traffic. (I'm from "Hick Town")

Jason Christenson
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
(I'm from "Hick Town")

I'm from Hick Town too. Out airport has TWO gates! :D

Art Mulder
07-14-2006, 1:34 PM
Jason,

Good advice from everyone.

one more thing... IF you take a security cable for the laptop (one of those coated steel cables) DO make sure that you put it in your checked luggage. My colleague nearly lost his, because they wouldn't let him carry it on. You can use it to choke someone, after all... (just leave it at home, you're not going to need it)

And like others said - make sure all batteries are charged so you can show it works. Ditto for the camera. I advise travelling with the laptop asleep, and NOT powered off, so it is much quicker to have it wake up to prove to them that it is just a laptop.

Do NOT leave your laptop in your bag - they'll just make you take it out, which could be a pain if you've got it stuffed away deep inside your carryon. DAMHIKT (DTW airport, what fun)

have fun, and make sure you arrive at the airport with a HEALTHY dose of patience and a "go with the flow" mood. :rolleyes:

...art

Rob Russell
07-14-2006, 2:18 PM
The airport that we fly out of is reasonably busy. It frequently takes us 20+ minutes just to get through the waiting line to get to the TSA screeners. Things I've learned (much a repeat from other posts):

Grab a couple of the big gray trays to unload into + 1 of the small trays for your wallet/pocket stuff.
Send your shoes through first. Wear socks so you don’t have to walk barefoot through the metal detector on that nice “clean” carpet.
Next through is your carry-on bag.
Next through is your laptop bag without laptop.
Next through is your laptop.
Right after it is the tray with your pocket stuff.I carry a separate wallet (card case) and money clip. Take the money out of the clip/wallet and leave that in your pocket.

In terms of the camera or laptop, I've never had a problem with either being damaged by the xrays.

Backing up your hard drive is an excellent point. When's the last backup you have right now anyway?

Rob

Jerry Olexa
07-14-2006, 6:32 PM
In my earlier business days, I did it all the time. No problem except an occassional security check...They'll ask you to turn your LTop on.

Curt Harms
07-14-2006, 6:45 PM
Airports vary (they shouldn't but...) a lot of airports won't make you take your shoes off if you're wearing something that are OBVIOUSLY sneakers. One screener said keds-type tennies or sandals. I have sneakers with cloth tops that seem OK at most airports.

Rob Russell
07-14-2006, 9:20 PM
The sneakers (older pair of running shoes) I've worn always have to come off.

Robert Mickley
07-14-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't have a fear of flying, I do have a fear of crashing though!!

Neal McCormick
07-14-2006, 11:01 PM
I fly a lot. I've discovered that if you leave the PC in the bag, security will swab it down for explosives. This can be time consuming if the airport is crowded. Here's a good hint - when you check in, ask which security checkpoint is LEAST crowded at that time of day. Most airports have several security checkpoints - you can use any one of them. If the counter agents do not know, when you get to the nearest checkpoint, ask the TSA person if there is another, less crowded checkpoint. You can save 30 minutes or more if the airport is busy.

Rob Russell
07-15-2006, 6:42 AM
Here's a good hint - when you check in, ask which security checkpoint is LEAST crowded at that time of day. Most airports have several security checkpoints - you can use any one of them. If the counter agents do not know, when you get to the nearest checkpoint, ask the TSA person if there is another, less crowded checkpoint. You can save 30 minutes or more if the airport is busy.

In our airport, there are a couple of wings and only 1 TSA checkpoint per wing. You can't go through 1 checkpoint and then expect to go over to the other wing and just walk through. My point is that airport layouts differ - if you're lucky enough to be at one where there are multiple checkpoints into the same gate area - that's great. We don't happen to be in that situation.

Curt Harms
07-16-2006, 1:38 AM
The sneakers (older pair of running shoes) I've worn always have to come off.
One day I was in a foul mood having to deal with the "security" crap and remarked to the TSA screener that if I could find Richard Reid (shoe bomber) I'd gladly "neuter" him with a dull knife. The TSA screener indicated I'd have to get in line:D .

Curt